Old 10-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
Schliggle
Casting On

Please help with pattern
Hi everybody,

I'm new to knitting and so have tried to pick out a rather simple pattern to begin with.

It's a headband that includes only knits and purls, which I understand. What I don't understand is the increasing and decreasing.

I know I only increase on the "right side" with are only odd rows, but I'm a little confused as to which purls I increase into and when, etc. When I tried with increasing, I did not know what to do with the extra stitches I increased when I got to the "wrong side", as the pattern does not tell you how to do each row by row.

If anybody is able to translate this pattern so that I am able to understand it like a 5 year old might be able to, that would be great.

Thank you for any of your time, and I'm sorry for any of my poor explainations.

PATTERN:

Headband:
Start at center back. Cast on 19 sts.
Work in rib as follows:
Row 1 (right side): K 1 (edge st knit in garter st), * K 2, P 1 * repeat a total of 5 times – finish row with K 2 and K 1 (edge st knit in garter st).
Row 2 (wrong side): K 1 (edge st knit in garter st), * P 2, K 1 * repeat a total of 5 times – finish row with P 2 and K 1 (edge st knit in garter st).
Make all incs on right side rows, inc by P 2 sts into 1 P stitch.
When the piece measures 8 cm/3" inc all P 1 to P 2 = 24 sts.
When the piece measures 14 cm/5" inc all P 2 to P 3 = 29 sts.
When the piece measures 18 cm/7" inc all P 3 to P 4 = 34 sts.
When the piece measures 21 cm/ 8 1/4" inc all P 4 to P 5 = 39 sts.
When the piece measures 24 cm/ 9" place a marker = this is the center of headband.
Now reverse shaping – measure from marker.
Make all decs on right side rows, dec by P2 tog. (opposite of inc)

When the piece measures a total of 48 cm/ 19" bind off and sew to cast on edge.

Last edited by Schliggle : 10-04-2013 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Edited due to copyright issues
Schliggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:37 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,466 Times in 3,142 Posts
You're going to increase in all the purl sts across the right side row.
Row 1 (right side): K 1 (edge st knit in garter st), * K 2, P 1 * repeat a total of 5 times finish row with K 2 and K 1 (edge st knit in garter st).
So for every P1 you'll do an increase. The increase occurs across the entire row when you get to 3 inches. At 5 1/2 inches, increase again in the purl columns so that all the P2 are now P3. You'll be increasing 5 sts on each increase row. The same will be true for the decreases. When you've knit to the given measurement, P2tog in the purl column across the row. You can increase and decrease approximately the center of each column of purls or at one end or the other of the purl column, whichever you think looks best.
Good luck with this cute pattern. One thing, please edit the pattern so that the entire pattern isn't given here due to possible copyright problems.
Schliggle (10-04-2013)
Old 10-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
Schliggle
Casting On

Thank so much for your time and explanation.

I was mostly confused as to whether or not I did all 5 inc stitches on the one inc row, or if I kind of split out the increasing through separate rows until I hit the right measurement.

You've cleared up my problems, and I'll try again. Trial and error!

Thank you once again for your time.
Schliggle is offline   Reply With Quote