Old 11-12-2013, 01:00 AM   #1
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Bear inside my car!
Yikes! While I was chatting about socks above, we heard a car horn honking outside. A bear locked himself inside my Toyota! WaaaHH! We could see him panicking, and the car was rocking back and forth. It is a new car (new to us, anyway,) and all I could think of was him tearing it up! I ran and opened the rear door, then ran back to the house as fast as I could. DH stood by with garden hose, but it wasn't needed. Bear went one way, I went the other. The naughty scamp then went up the drive to the neighbor's and opened his pickup door! Neighbor scared him off, then we called everybody we could think of to warn them to lock their doors. He tore off both the front inside door panels, RATS!

Where we live, nobody needs to lock cars or houses, but I guess that's a thing of the past!
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:28 AM   #2
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Omg! I just read your post. Freakin' unbelievable! Who'd ever think you'd have to lock your doors to keep a bear out? Totally sucks about your door panels. Replacing anything in a car is expensive these days.

I used to get a little scared about bears when we lived in Santa Fe. A couple of the doors had lever handles, yikes, I heard stories about those bears. If it's a tough year for them, they'll come down out of the mountains in search of food.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:35 AM   #3
DogCatMom
Knitting the Flap

Sounds like you're either near Donner State Park or up by one of the ski areas (i.e., not near downtown).

DH and I have visited Truckee on New Year's for the last several years so that our Bernese Mtn Dogs can at least experience snow. I only wish I could figure out how to make a living there....

edited to add: was it *your* car that will need the new panels? or one of your neighbors' cars?

Last edited by DogCatMom : 11-12-2013 at 02:36 AM. Reason: forgot to finish my message!
DogCatMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:42 AM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,782 Times in 7,145 Posts
OMG! That's crazy!!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:05 PM   #5
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
OMG! That's crazy!!
It's been really warm, so they aren't hibernating yet. They are looking to tank up with extra food. I didn't have any food in the car, no wrappers, no chapstick, gum, nothing. Just a crummy bottle of plain water, but I guess they will snoop in cars since they have learned there might be something inside.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:28 PM   #6
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,196 Times in 2,697 Posts
Quote:
It wasn't a big bear, a big bear
Sometimes it's Mama Bear that will get you. Let the dang bear have the car next time. Please.

We have bears that wander into populated areas around here but not as often as you seem to have it happen. We've encroached so much on all the wild areas, where else can they go? That and they've learned that there are goodies to be had all over the place.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by DogCatMom View Post
Sounds like you're either near Donner State Park or up by one of the ski areas (i.e., not near downtown).

DH and I have visited Truckee on New Year's for the last several years so that our Bernese Mtn Dogs can at least experience snow. I only wish I could figure out how to make a living there....

edited to add: was it *your* car that will need the new panels? or one of your neighbors' cars?
Our car! And we have a $750 deductible! We're actually on the other side of Truckee from Donner State Park, in what is called the Glenshire Area. It's 5 miles out of Truckee town but to the east as you go down the canyon on I 80 towards Reno. Instead of turning towards Boca Dam, you go the other way off I 80.

I LOVE Berner's! When we were in Vermont once (my DH grew up there) we stayed down the street from The Von Trapp Farm. They had a big friendly Bernese Mountain dog who would come out to greet you. I guess we just have bears at our house...
The Following User Says Thank You to jinxnit55 For This Useful Post:
DogCatMom (11-13-2013)
Old 11-12-2013, 10:51 PM   #8
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by claireweber View Post
Omg! I just read your post. Freakin' unbelievable! Who'd ever think you'd have to lock your doors to keep a bear out? Totally sucks about your door panels. Replacing anything in a car is expensive these days.

I used to get a little scared about bears when we lived in Santa Fe. A couple of the doors had lever handles, yikes, I heard stories about those bears. If it's a tough year for them, they'll come down out of the mountains in search of food.
Nearby Incline Village, Nevada has had way worse trouble than us, for the past several years. Bears have broken into houses with people inside! But usually they break windows and yank doors off empty cabins.

Neighbor down the street had a bear break into his garage and drink a few six packs of beer that were in the outside fridge (plus a few Pepsi chasers), but nobody has had one in the house yet. I think we may be catching up, though, by the way things are going.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:29 AM   #9
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,196 Times in 2,697 Posts
Scary. Very scary. I'm glad the damage was no worse than it was but please, if it happens again, let the bear destroy the car. You are much more important.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (11-13-2013), N0obKnitter (11-12-2013)
Old 11-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
N0obKnitter
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Scary. Very scary. I'm glad the damage was no worse than it was but please, if it happens again, let the bear destroy the car. You are much more important.
I'm in agreement. Bears are EXTREMELY dangerous!