Old 11-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
KnitTink
Casting On

K2B stitch
I am starting a new project a Bobbled Cowl (WR2179 from redheart.com). I have cracked how to do the bobbles but am having difficulty with the K2B stitch I know it means knit two below . I can't find a video showing K2B (well one but it is really unclear so I have looked at a couple of K1B videos thinking it can't be that different, but all I get is a dropped stitch with two rungs. Can anyone please please please give me any clues on how to do this thing or point me to a video that does show it well.

I started knitting about 6 months ago and have done a couple of scarves and a throw. Am I attempting a bridge too far, I do hope not.

KnitTink
KnitTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,387 Times in 3,068 Posts
Hi and welcome!
When you k1b you end up with the eqquivalent of a slipped stitch. These alternative techniques (slip st or k1b) can be used for brioche stithc. If you k2b, you should end up with 2 slipped sts. The two sts will be caught behind the stich made from the current stitch on the left needle
Old 11-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
KnitTink
Casting On

Doesn't give me a lot to go on really. Still lost on this one.
KnitTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,387 Times in 3,068 Posts
I couldn't find a video for k2b either but it is just like k1b except that you're poking the needle into the knit fabric 2 rows below. make sure that the needle is going straight into the opening formed by the stitch and not into just the back loop of the stitch 2 rows below. Here's another video for k1b that shows that idea.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/pl...-below-english
When you've got it right, the stitch will look like there are 2 additional strands of yarn sitting in back of it on the right needle.
Maybe a close-up photo of what you have now would help?
Old 11-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
bridge1892
Casting On

The given instructions are: "K2B = Knit 2 below: Place tip of right needle into center of stitch 2 rows below and knit." It doesn't specify that you should pull the stitch on the left needle off (even though it's kind of self-explanatory). Perhaps try K2B on a sample swatch without pulling the stitch off?

Edit:
On second thought it would increase the stitches. Not sure if you want to try it still.
bridge1892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #6
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,098 Times in 2,608 Posts
Bobbled Cowl Actually seeing the pattern is helpful.

I've not encountered any instructions for kb or k2b where you don't move the st off the left needle unless instructed otherwise which can be used as an increase. Looking at the photo of the cowl and the instructions, I say that you work your k2b and move the st off as if you'd worked a normal k. This is what produces those elongated stitches. Try it and see how it works. You could do a swatch of stockinette for experimenting on before you go round your cowl multiple times.

ETA: Just having had a closer look at the pattern, you might prefer to use purl sts between the k2b as in the pattern for a test swatch. A similar effect can be had by slipping a k st every other round.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote