Old 01-04-2014, 03:33 PM   #1
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

way OT - church and sunday school
I was raised in the church and very much want my children to do the whole Sunday school, children's choir, youth group thing. I love the priest, congregation, and fact that we were married and boys baptized in the same church by the same priest. My problem is that I don't like with the Sunday School curriculum. We attend the family service so the boys are in church with us sitting still (so to speak) for almost an hour and then I think Sunday school should be crafts and songs centered around the lessons from that Sunday. Our church recently adopted a curriculum that focuses only on the New Testament - apparently the Old Testament is too scary?! - and refers to Jesus as the Good Shepard and The Light...never Jesus. There are no crafts, songs etc, the children learn through "work" and individual tasks. It's very odd to me and I actually withdrew my son last year. After sitting in church for an hour I think it is too much to ask a 3y/o to sit and "work" for another hour.

Here is the question - do I just suck it up and send him to Sunday School OR do we look for a new church with a more traditional Sunday School program?
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:22 PM   #2
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

The only thing I can recommend is to speak to your priest. It could be that the curriculum is focusing on the new testament now and will cycle to the old testament later - when I was a child, our curriculum worked as I just described. Or it could be that the church/diocese itself is shifting focus. Your priest can explain to you whats going on so that you can make an informed decision.

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote