Old 01-27-2014, 10:17 PM   #1
smeldsgang
Knitting the Flap

Any knitters with carpal tunnel and/or tennis elbow?
I have both and they're in my dominant hand/arm, which makes it very hard for me to knit for any longer then 5 minutes at a time.

Any suggestions as what I can do to help alleviate the discomfort?
smeldsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:45 AM   #2
DogCatMom
Knitting the Flap

(I'm just taking a break from work, so brief response.)

There have been several discussions along these lines in recent months; a targeted search will no doubt bring them to light.

Terms like "painful wrist," "painful arm," and such may help, or someone may remember exactly where the threads are.

I'm a non-surgery survivor of CTS, but it's very difficult to do what I did: I stopped all hand work, including my music, for 15 years....so I could keep working. It wasn't much fun, but at the time there weren't nearly as many options as there are now.
DogCatMom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DogCatMom For This Useful Post:
smeldsgang (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 04:57 PM   #3
Woodi
Turning the Heel

a few years ago, I thought I had carpal tunnel; doc said not much to do for it except surgery, which I didn't want. So I rested myself - stopped knitting for a couple of months....and then taught myself different knitting techniques.
Varying my ways of holding needles and yarn, and slowing down. I used to knit as if my life depended on getting it done quickly. Now I knit slowly, rest often....and it's ok. I still get pain occasionally, but I figure that it comes with aging.
There are many ways to live with a bit of pain. Have you talked to your health provider(s) for ways? Good luck!
Woodi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Woodi For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (01-28-2014), smeldsgang (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 06:28 PM   #4
smeldsgang
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Woodi View Post
a few years ago, I thought I had carpal tunnel; doc said not much to do for it except surgery, which I didn't want. So I rested myself - stopped knitting for a couple of months....and then taught myself different knitting techniques.
Varying my ways of holding needles and yarn, and slowing down. I used to knit as if my life depended on getting it done quickly. Now I knit slowly, rest often....and it's ok. I still get pain occasionally, but I figure that it comes with aging.
There are many ways to live with a bit of pain. Have you talked to your health provider(s) for ways? Good luck!

I will take to my doctor again about it, but we have also thought if I lost some weight it may help too.
smeldsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:57 PM   #5
Deb7
Casting On

I have a past history of severe carpal tunnel syndrome. The doctor told me that it was so severe, that there were not options other than surgery. He did give me a splint to sleep in that held my hand back, stretching the ligaments in my wrist, and it did help, some. I went to an alternative medicine practitioner and he did a deep tissure massage (which was painful) and he also taught me some stretches. It pretty much cured it. Now, whenever I feel a twinge of it, I do the stretches I was taught. I have not had to wear the splint in years.

Now I also have a pinched nerve in my neck from degenerating disks that sends sharp pain down to my hand. But that is a separate issure from this thread. Sorry.

Now that I'm learning to knit, I notice that I can go for HOURS, literally, and no pain in my arms. Whereas, when I crochet, my left arm will cramp up and I sometimes feel pain all the way to my neck.

My suggestion to you is to maybe try getting a deep tissue massage. They are worth the money if you can afford one. And to learn the correct stretches for your wrist. I can explain them to you, if you want. If you do choose to get a deep tissue massage, make sure you go to a reputable practitioner. It is such a deep massage, I imagine someone could do some damage if they do not know what they are doing. It really helped me. It spared me from surgery.
Deb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deb7 For This Useful Post:
smeldsgang (01-29-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 03:05 PM   #6
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,127 Times in 2,636 Posts
Originally Posted by Deb7 View Post
I have a past history of severe carpal tunnel syndrome. The doctor told me that it was so severe, that there were not options other than surgery. He did give me a splint to sleep in that held my hand back, stretching the ligaments in my wrist, and it did help, some. I went to an alternative medicine practitioner and he did a deep tissure massage (which was painful) and he also taught me some stretches. It pretty much cured it. Now, whenever I feel a twinge of it, I do the stretches I was taught. I have not had to wear the splint in years.

Now I also have a pinched nerve in my neck from degenerating disks that sends sharp pain down to my hand. But that is a separate issure from this thread. Sorry.

Now that I'm learning to knit, I notice that I can go for HOURS, literally, and no pain in my arms. Whereas, when I crochet, my left arm will cramp up and I sometimes feel pain all the way to my neck.

My suggestion to you is to maybe try getting a deep tissue massage. They are worth the money if you can afford one. And to learn the correct stretches for your wrist. I can explain them to you, if you want. If you do choose to get a deep tissue massage, make sure you go to a reputable practitioner. It is such a deep massage, I imagine someone could do some damage if they do not know what they are doing. It really helped me. It spared me from surgery.
My daughter is trained in massage and is quite skilled at deep tissue therapy. There are only a very few practitioners who she knows that she would allow to touch her for deep tissue therapy. Unless they know what they're doing it won't help, it will be painful, and in some cases could make the problem worse. The same is true for any treatment that I'm aware of. I've known people who had surgery and came out of it no better, and sometimes worse off, than they were before

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
DogCatMom (01-29-2014), smeldsgang (01-29-2014)