Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2014, 01:33 AM   #1
smeldsgang
Knitting the Flap
 
smeldsgang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 250
Thanks: 101
Thanked 104 Times in 93 Posts
Learning To Knit
How did you learn to knit? How old were you when you started knitting OR how long have you been knitting?

I became interested in knitting when I watched an employee at JoAnns knit for over an hour (12/22/2013), and me asking her a lot of questions. Since then I've been teaching myself the few things I do know how to do. BTW, I am 48.

Last edited by smeldsgang : 02-26-2014 at 10:50 AM.
smeldsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:12 AM   #2
Woofens
Turning the Heel
 
Woofens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Morristown, Ohio
Posts: 738
Thanks: 676
Thanked 364 Times in 287 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Woofens Send a message via MSN to Woofens Send a message via Yahoo to Woofens Send a message via Skype™ to Woofens
I taught myself from a kit from Wal-Mart called, appropriately, "Teach Yourself to Knit". I just learned in June. I had wanted to learn since reading Debbie Macomber's book, Blossom Street. Probably close to 10 years of wanting to learn. I'm so glad I finally did.
__________________
Janis

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Woofens

The only difference between an experienced knitter and new knitter is that the experienced knitter makes bigger mistakes faster. Be bold; there are no terrible consequences in knitting.

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

OTN:
Blocks in Blocks Afgan for Taz
Pet snuggles for charity
BonBons fingerless mitts for Sarah
Dorm socks for Skye-finished
Dallas Cowboys Man Hat for John-finished
and as always, dish cloths.
Woofens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:26 AM   #3
knitcindy
Turning the Heel
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 656
Thanks: 46
Thanked 132 Times in 108 Posts
My grandma taught me to both knit and crochet when I was about 9 or 10 years old. Then I helped myself learn more with a booklet called "The Learn How Book" that teaches how to knit, crochet, tatting and embroidery.

knitcindy
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:53 AM   #4
smeldsgang
Knitting the Flap
 
smeldsgang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 250
Thanks: 101
Thanked 104 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by knitcindy View Post
My grandma taught me to both knit and crochet when I was about 9 or 10 years old. Then I helped myself learn more with a booklet called "The Learn How Book" that teaches how to knit, crochet, tatting and embroidery.

knitcindy

I wish I had someone who taught me. What a fun thing to do with your grandma!
smeldsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smeldsgang For This Useful Post:
knitcindy (03-01-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 04:39 PM   #5
pinkpearl
Ribbing the Cuff
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: uk
Posts: 97
Thanks: 34
Thanked 74 Times in 53 Posts
I was taught to knit by my Gran when I was about seven. I made scarves for my dolls. Then after a while I made cardigans for the dolls helped by my Mum. When I was about eleven I made myself a sweater, with a lot of help by Mum. Then nothing until I was pregnant with my first son and I made lots of his first clothes.
Continued making stuff for the boys until they grew to want sweaters from the shop and not that home made stuff.
Now years later I have just got back into it, and now they love their new home made aran sweaters.
pinkpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:10 AM   #6
smeldsgang
Knitting the Flap
 
smeldsgang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 250
Thanks: 101
Thanked 104 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by pinkpearl View Post
I was taught to knit by my Gran when I was about seven. I made scarves for my dolls. Then after a while I made cardigans for the dolls helped by my Mum. When I was about eleven I made myself a sweater, with a lot of help by Mum. Then nothing until I was pregnant with my first son and I made lots of his first clothes.
Continued making stuff for the boys until they grew to want sweaters from the shop and not that home made stuff.
Now years later I have just got back into it, and now they love their new home made aran sweaters.

Wow! You have been knitting for a long time, and made a lot of nice items. Being taught by your gran must have really made an impression on you.
smeldsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:52 AM   #7
smeldsgang
Knitting the Flap
 
smeldsgang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 250
Thanks: 101
Thanked 104 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Woofens View Post
I taught myself from a kit from Wal-Mart called, appropriately, "Teach Yourself to Knit". I just learned in June. I had wanted to learn since reading Debbie Macomber's book, Blossom Street. Probably close to 10 years of wanting to learn. I'm so glad I finally did.

I've never heard of this book. What in the book interested you in knitting?
smeldsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:19 PM   #8
Woofens
Turning the Heel
 
Woofens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Morristown, Ohio
Posts: 738
Thanks: 676
Thanked 364 Times in 287 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Woofens Send a message via MSN to Woofens Send a message via Yahoo to Woofens Send a message via Skype™ to Woofens
Originally Posted by smeldsgang View Post
I've never heard of this book. What in the book interested you in knitting?
The book is based around a yarn store teaching knitting lessons.
__________________
Janis

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Woofens

The only difference between an experienced knitter and new knitter is that the experienced knitter makes bigger mistakes faster. Be bold; there are no terrible consequences in knitting.

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

OTN:
Blocks in Blocks Afgan for Taz
Pet snuggles for charity
BonBons fingerless mitts for Sarah
Dorm socks for Skye-finished
Dallas Cowboys Man Hat for John-finished
and as always, dish cloths.
Woofens is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Woofens For This Useful Post:
smeldsgang (02-27-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 02:56 PM   #9
knitcindy
Turning the Heel
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 656
Thanks: 46
Thanked 132 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Woofens View Post
I taught myself from a kit from Wal-Mart called, appropriately, "Teach Yourself to Knit". I just learned in June. I had wanted to learn since reading Debbie Macomber's book, Blossom Street. Probably close to 10 years of wanting to learn. I'm so glad I finally did.
Debbie Macomber has written MANY books based on The Shop on Blossom Street. Here are the first few books in the series:

The Shop on Blossom Street
A Good Yarn
Susannah's Garden
Back on Blossom Street
Twenty Wishes

ENJOY!!!!!!!
knitcindy
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitcindy For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (03-03-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 08:20 PM   #10
smeldsgang
Knitting the Flap
 
smeldsgang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 250
Thanks: 101
Thanked 104 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by knitcindy View Post
Debbie Macomber has written MANY books based on The Shop on Blossom Street. Here are the first few books in the series:

The Shop on Blossom Street
A Good Yarn
Susannah's Garden
Back on Blossom Street
Twenty Wishes

ENJOY!!!!!!!
knitcindy

Thank you for listing some of her books. Have you read any of them? Are they fiction or non-fiction? I Googled her series and this is what I found:http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2..._Street_Series
smeldsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smeldsgang For This Useful Post:
knitcindy (03-03-2014)
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re-learning to knit...help melinda9723 How-to Questions 15 06-17-2012 05:01 PM
learning to knit Joan51 How-to Questions 2 05-19-2012 05:34 AM
Learning to Knit w/o Looking new_knitter How-to Questions 17 02-04-2009 08:27 PM
learning a new way to knit? bethie How-to Questions 3 04-28-2006 03:38 PM
Learning to knit.. Stumbleine How-to Questions 3 10-18-2005 02:12 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:46 AM.