Old 01-26-2005, 01:26 PM   #1
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

a really weird question...
Ok, yup this is weird. I posted a message that I'd like to teach knitting. On Craig's List. I thought it'd be fun and yeah, I could pick up a little bit of cash (I don't have a job). $10 an hour.
I immediately got a reply that seemed a little pushy so I wrote back and said, by the way, are you a guy? The answer came back, yes.
I know I must sound crazy, but I don't feel like teaching this guy... something offputting about the message. Or maybe I'd just feel more comfortable teaching women. Am I crazy? It is entering into a relationship that would go on for several weeks etc. Um, I'm not gay but, I'd rather teach women! ok, what do you think? And how do I explain it to him? (anybody want to teach a guy to knit?) Victoria

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 02:17 PM   #2
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Hmm? I'm afraid I don't quite understand...

Do you not want to teach him simply because he's a guy???
If I saw an ad siting, "Learn to Change Your Own Motor Oil" and the teacher wouldn't accept me as a student simply because I'm a woman, I would be highly offended. :? I think it's the same principal with knitting. Why should he be denied as a knitting student simply because he's a guy? :(

Or do you not want to teach him because you thought his response was pushy?

If he used inappropriate language or griped about your fee, then that's his problem. He should find a teacher whose fees he likes or a teacher who will accept his language.

So if it's simply because he's a guy, I think that would be discrimination, so you might want to consider another explanation for him. If it's because he doesn't like your fee, then just tell him that your fee is non-negotiable. If you think he'll just be a general pain, then you could always jack up your fee to $50 a minute and send him screaming for his mommy **Hehehehehe** Just kidding ...

Sorry I couldn't be of more help :(

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 02:31 PM   #3
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

thanks
ekg.... whew lot of letters there...

your reply did help. I suppose it was his tone that made me feel funny. yeah, undoubtedly it is discriminatory. I used to be 'hit on'
a lot when I was younger, maybe it's left its mark. (my husband's words: Are you afraid you'll be hit on?) rather than knit-on ha ha

By the way, since I posted on Craig's list all of a sudden there are whole bunch of new posting for teaching knitting. Guess I started something.

V.

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 02:37 PM   #4
Egeria
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to Egeria Send a message via Yahoo to Egeria
Victoise, I think you should just go with your gut instinct. If you don't want to teach him, then don't!

That's my two cents!
Old 01-26-2005, 02:49 PM   #5
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Re: thanks
Originally Posted by Victoise
ekg.... whew lot of letters there...
:D

your reply did help. I suppose it was his tone that made me feel funny. yeah, undoubtedly it is discriminatory. I used to be 'hit on'
a lot when I was younger, maybe it's left its mark.
I know what you mean ... men who were older than my father hit on me when I was like 10!!! I guess it was my 34C frame ... It left a mark ... :|

By the way, since I posted on Craig's list all of a sudden there are whole bunch of new posting for teaching knitting. Guess I started something.
V.
Look at that as a good thing!! Mr. Questionable won't have trouble finding another teacher 8)

Old 01-26-2005, 03:04 PM   #6
Anne
Knitting the Flap

Where did you plan on teaching the guy. at your home? If that is the case why not teach him when your husband is home? Better yet meet him in a Cafe. Coffee shop etc.

What am i missing? Where is Craigs list?
Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 03:17 PM   #7
ChroniclesofYarnia
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to ChroniclesofYarnia
There is a book called The Gift of Fear, by Gavin DeBecker that I read a year or so ago that talks about "funny feelings". I would definitely not invite some strange dude over to my house, especially if I was skeeved out already. We are taught to be so non-discriminatory and PC that we ignore our basic instincts. Go with your gut, especially since you said the response was pushy.

No, I am not ashamed that I have a major crush on a man who dressed in tights and made faces for most of the 80's, and now plays a crippled drug addicted doctor...and is almost the same age as my father.
ChroniclesofYarnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 03:27 PM   #8
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by YarnMommy
There is a book called The Gift of Fear, by Gavin DeBecker that I read a year or so ago that talks about "funny feelings". I would definitely not invite some strange dude over to my house...
Oh I agree with that. I wouldn't invite any stranger to my home ... man or woman, funny feeling or not ...

Old 01-26-2005, 03:36 PM   #9
salsa
1st Leg of the Journey

I know people who have been stalked in real life as a result of the fallout of stuff that happens on forums. NEVER share your personal life (real name, address, phone number etc) with people on the net because there are too many fruitcakes out there (yes, even on knitting forums).

That's my paranoid 2c.

Stay safe.
salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 04:14 PM   #10
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by salsa
I know people who have been stalked in real life as a result of the fallout of stuff that happens on forums. NEVER share your personal life (real name, address, phone number etc) with people on the net because there are too many fruitcakes out there (yes, even on knitting forums).

That's my paranoid 2c.

Stay safe.
I saw a program on Court TV about a lady who was stalked by an "internet buddy". He told her that he lived in TX (which turned out to true); she lived on the east coast (I forget which state). One day, she answered the knock at her door and IT WAS HIM!!! Unannounced...uninvited ... Ew!! :x You can just imagine how her life was turned topsy turvey by this wacko; it took the show one hour to cover the tale.