Old 01-28-2005, 03:59 PM   #1
kdavies
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to kdavies Send a message via Yahoo to kdavies
New Form Topics?
Amy, how hard would it be to break up the General Knitting into a couple of different forums?

I'm thinking of 'pattern help,' 'needles & notions,' 'organinzing it all,' etc.

It might make it easier to find threads. But, then, I'm an organization fanatic (not that you'd notice at home right now!)
kdavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 05:29 PM   #2
Nuno930
Working the Gusset

I like that idea! All of a sudden the site is booming! Great, but it makes it hard to sift through all the posts.
Nuno930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 08:54 PM   #3
foldedbird
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to foldedbird Send a message via MSN to foldedbird Send a message via Yahoo to foldedbird
It might be more organized, but I wonder how much time it would save the folks who like to read the whole forum every day? That's a lot of clicking back and forth to get to several different categories.

I'd also wonder if there's enough traffic on this forum day to day yet for that to be feasible... once the categories are made, then someone would most likely have to sort through each thread and decide which cateogory to put it and and then move all of the threads. And then we'd have to find them all.

I personally have some threads bookmarked, so I'd also have to to rebookmark too.
foldedbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 10:39 PM   #4
kdavies
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to kdavies Send a message via Yahoo to kdavies
Well, it WOULD be a lot of work. I'd be willing to help with that, though, if Amy is interested.

I already find it difficult to find things. If I could keep up with it every day it might not be so difficult, but I only get to check it every couple of days and topics go by fast!
kdavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 10:52 PM   #5
foldedbird
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to foldedbird Send a message via MSN to foldedbird Send a message via Yahoo to foldedbird
It does go by fast, because it's such a great forum to visit!
foldedbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 06:08 PM   #6
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

It's an important issue you've brought up Kathy!

Now that the forum is getting hopping, it makes more sense to consider other forum categories that previously felt unecessary. I won't move existing threads, but I think you're right that it's time to consider more categories.

It's a tough call, because too many categories will feel like we're scattered and divided up. And it makes for more work to go through the posts, as Foldedbird said. But I think you're right, Nuno, in that it's starting to get difficult to keep track of all the posts!

I think I will introduce just a couple of new categories for now. The ones I'm leaning towards are:
--Knitting Questions (help with patterns, etc.)
--Knit-alongs (to provide a special home for future knit-alongs!)

Sorting out the "Knitting Questions" into their own forum will definitely reduce the bulk of posts in the main knitting category. If it gets overwhelming again in that category, I'll consider adding more categories then.

How does that sound? I appreciate everyone's input on this!...
Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 06:53 PM   #7
Nuno930
Working the Gusset

Quote:
Sorting out the "Knitting Questions" into their own forum will definitely reduce the bulk of posts in the main knitting category. If it gets overwhelming again in that category, I'll consider adding more categories then.
I think that would be awesome! Sorting out the "need help" posts from the general knitting would help a TON! I love the knit-a-long idea. Maybe if you are feeling froggy... a "completed" section that we can just ooo and ahhh over projects
Old 02-01-2005, 10:17 PM   #8
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

Aren't most of the posts here knitting questions anyway? I don't know that it would divide the posts that much. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:17 PM   #9
Peg
Ribbing the Cuff

adding my 2 cents here. What attracted me most to this forum was it's simplicity. I think the first forum I found was the Knitter's Review. While it is a very good forum I find it so broken down into categories that it's a pain to go through....then I have to try and remember in which board a particular thread is if I want to keep up with additional posts.

I can understand the need for a few more boards, but my preference would be to keep them to a minimum.

Happy Knitting! :D
Peg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 12:12 AM   #10
Jouf
Knitting the Flap

Amy, my vote is add a knit a long.

People can use the search button. I keep reading questions for help and remembering that I just saw the answer in a previous post recently. And I don't know that there is a real cure for that.

One day I thought I saw a button that said "read all new messages since last visit" - which I thought was great. But I can't seem to find it anymore. Probably operator error!

Whatever you do, Amy, is really fine. You have the best site and should be really proud of yourself.

Jouf
Jouf is offline   Reply With Quote