Old 01-30-2005, 07:47 PM   #1
Kiri
Ribbing the Cuff

Amy, can you help?
I need to do kitchener stitch across cables.

I know you posted instrictions for stockinette, and reverse stockinette...

Could you post the kitchener instructions for ribbing?

Thanks,
-Kiri.
Kiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 08:03 PM   #2
salsa
1st Leg of the Journey

Hi Kiri,

While waiting for Amy to arrive....

I have seen the other 2 or so threads that you started on this subject and didn't quite understand at the time what you were asking.

I don't know if this helps you in any way, but last week I did a bind-off on a ribbed cuff (in the round) with the kitchener stitch. I had a k2p2 rib, so what I did was move my knit stitch pairs onto one set of needles, and my purl stitch pairs onto another needle.

Because I was knitting in the round, I did half the pairs first and kitchener stitched them, then I did the other half. Once you have your knit pairs on one needle and your purl pairs on another needle, you do the kitchener stitch as usual.

Maybe this isn't what you mean though. So I will just slink away back into lurk mode so that Amy can come and give a definitive answer!
salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 04:29 PM   #3
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Kiri, I've never had to graft in this situation! But I do have my handy dandy "Principles of Knitting" book. Let's see what she says....

She doesn't talk about grafting cables, just ribbing. As I feared, you can't perfectly graft ribbing (or cables, I'd say), unless you're grafting the top of one piece to the bottom of another piece. You can try it with the top of two pieces, but it will be off by half a stitch where the knitting switches to purling and vice versa....

My first thought, and this could be TOTALLY wrong, but it might be worth trying, is to do regular kitchener stitch until you reach the purled area, then turn your work inside out, so that those purled stitches are now knit stitches facing out, and continue as normal! The only adaptations I foresee are these: That before you turn the work inside out, when the purl stitch is the second stitch you're working after a knit stitch, I'd think you'd want to go into that purl stitch in the opposite direction as you would a knit stitch? Not sure! But this is my guess. Then, when you've turned the work inside out, you'll have what was the back needle as the front needle, and you'll have just worked that needle. So continue the pattern by first working the back needle.

....Okay, my curiousity got the best of me, so I just tried this out with a sample cable. It looks good! I did it with a top piece grafted to an removable-cast-on bottom piece. It looks correct! (Woohoo! Yay for me! LOL.) I'm not 100% sure about putting the needle in the opposite way when you come to a purl stitch. It seems to have worked perfectly on one side of the cable, but not on the other side. I'm not sure why the rule worked in one place, but not in another! Maybe I messed it up. In any case, it's a minor flaw that's not noticable in this case; and if you're grafting top to top pieces, it won't be perfect anyway. .... Let me know how it turns out for you, and if you can confirm this rule or not!

BTW, a rule of thumb for estimating whether your on the right row of the cable before grafting, is this.... If you hold the two pieces that you're about to graft together, needle against needle, and the cables line up perfectly, you've probably knit one row too many. If you line them up and the cable looks a little short, that's a good thing. The grafting will be adding a row.

Hope that helps!
Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 09:26 PM   #4
Kiri
Ribbing the Cuff

It worked rather well.

I ended up pulling th yarn too tightly, and it created a ridge, but I'll loosen it later.

Kiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 12:05 AM   #5
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Not bad!
Thanks for sharing the pic!

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote