Old 01-31-2005, 05:22 PM   #1
Chris
Ribbing the Cuff

need help with a pattern from "cherished babies"
I want to try to make the booties in the book (my sisters request)
The pattern reads:
Cast on 29 stitches and work 10 rows stocking stitch
Next row Knit 19 stitches and turn
next row purl 9 stitches and turn
on 9 stitches work 14 rows in stocking stitch, break yarn
My question for this is What does "turn" mean??
In Vogue knitting this is in the short row section....I know this book is written by a brit....does that factor in??
Thanks for all the help in advance.....
Chris
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 06:10 PM   #2
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Re: need help with a pattern from "cherished babies&quo
Originally Posted by Chris
I want to try to make the booties in the book (my sisters request)
The pattern reads:
Cast on 29 stitches and work 10 rows stocking stitch
Next row Knit 19 stitches and turn
next row purl 9 stitches and turn
on 9 stitches work 14 rows in stocking stitch, break yarn
My question for this is What does "turn" mean??
In Vogue knitting this is in the short row section....I know this book is written by a brit....does that factor in??
Thanks for all the help in advance.....
Chris

I think "Turn" means to act as if you've just finished knitting that entire row. For example at the first turn:
K19 sts, now turn the work purl 9 sts as if the remaining 10 sts don't exist ... the remaining sts might need to go on a sts holder until the pattern gives further directions for those sts.

I've never made any booties, but my sweater pattern called for me to do something similar this weekend. I had 133 sts. The pattern read K62 sts, put remaining sts on sts holder, turn and work 1 row in pattern. I didn't have to worry about the sts on the sts holder until I was finished with the initial 62 that I had knitted.

I hope that helped a little :?

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 08:40 PM   #3
Chris
Ribbing the Cuff

sooo do you physically TURN the work?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 10:35 PM   #4
Jouf
Knitting the Flap

Sounds like you're doing the heel or something. There is so much help on line for this. Amy has some videos under advanced techniques. Go to
www.royea.net/sockdemo1 and look at that.

Socks and booties are VERY similar. So check it out. And good luck!

Jouf

P.S. and yes turn means exactly that - turn it over put - right needle goes in left hand, vice versa.
Jouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 12:58 PM   #5
wildforyarn
Turning the Heel

I also need help with this pattern! I have gotten through the first part....

This is what I have done so far:

Cast on 29 (22:37) stitches and work 10 (10:12) rows stocking stitch. Knit 19 (22:25) stitches, turn. Purl 9 (11:13) stitches, turn. On 9 (11:13) stitches, work 14 (14:16) rows in stocking stitch. Break yarn.

For the life of me, I can't figure out what to do next?????

With right side of work facing, rejoin yarn to the inside edge of the 10 (11:12) stitches and pick up and knit 7(9:11) stitches along the side of the foot, knit across 9 (11:13) stitches on the needle, pick up and knit 7 (9:11) stitches along the other side of the foot and finally knit along the remaining 10 (11:12) stitches.

I know Chris has done these booties, so maybe you would have the answer to this question. But I am willing to listen to anyone that can give me some help. I thought being new these would be relatively easy, but now I am sitting here confused.

wildforyarn on Ravelry

wildforyarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 03:20 AM   #6
Qiana
Casting On

Did you ever get clarification on what to do next? I am in a similar pickle. I am using the www.bernat.com Layette Booties (free pattern) and made it all the way to :

To make foot: With RS of work facing, pick up and knit 11 sts
along side of instep. K13 from left hand needle. Pick up and knit
11 sts along other side of instep. Knit across rem 16 sts.

I am working this on two needles, and all the instruction on how to pick -up stitches make it sound as though the segment should be off the stitch, but there were never any directions to cast off. So I now have two sections cast onto one needle and one section cast onto the other. How do I pick up and knit?

Also - since my last instruction was to break off the yarn, should I just do another slip knot to start making the foot?

Many many thanks for any help or advice!
Old 08-02-2005, 07:44 AM   #7
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
It seems that everyone has similar questions. I'll try to generalize and we can take it from there.

ekg had an excellent way of putting it in that you act as if those stitches don't exist. You knit to where they tell you to turn. Then you physically turn the work as if you've completed a row. You're going to knit on these stitches for a number of rows for the instep--top of the foot.

Then you cut your yarn. Make another slip knot and reconnect your yarn where they tell you to, usually the bottom of the instep on the right side as it faces you.

You pick up the number of stitches it calls for, knit across the top of the instep, down the side and then the stitches that were remaining on your left needle.

It will look weird, but just do what they tell you to do.

If you need help on how to pick up stitches use the video above.

When you're finished with this section, you'll have the stitches that had stayed on your right needle, the picked up stitches along the right side of the instep, the top of the instep, the stitches you picked up along the left side of the instep and the stitches that were on your left needle all knitted over to your right needle.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 07:48 AM   #8
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
Re: need help with a pattern from "cherished babies&
Originally Posted by ekgheiy
... the remaining sts might need to go on a sts holder until the pattern gives further directions for those sts.
One more thing...dont do that unless the pattern tells you to.
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 07:51 AM   #9
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Re: need help with a pattern from "cherished babies&
Originally Posted by KellyK
Originally Posted by ekgheiy
... the remaining sts might need to go on a sts holder until the pattern gives further directions for those sts.
One more thing...dont do that unless the pattern tells you to.
Yes! Yes! Yes! Kelly is right. We are one on this issue. FOLLOW YOUR PATTERN. Some call for holders, some don't. Don't make it more confusing than it is.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 10:49 PM   #10
Qiana
Casting On

You folks are fabulous! What am amazing rally to my desperate plea for help! I especially found Jouf’s recommended website for Sock’s 101 useful. I am pleased to report I have made ONE BABY BOOTY!

For the others out there still struggling, I'll let you know the source of my confusion in the hopes that it will help you.

1. You can do this on two needles, but some people use three.

2. They keep saying it, but for some reason it took a while for me to believe it. TURN really does mean turn the piece around. Its so simple its almost sinister! Yes, just turn it over, even before you get to the end of the row. The design is trying to get you to make (for example) 11 stitches that are three rows height, followed by 11 stitches that are nine rows height, followed by 11 stitches that are three rows height, 33 total stitches.

3. Break yarn means cut the yarn but do not cast off the needle. (I left a long tail for safety’s sake.)

4. The next step is turning the gusset (making the heel). This was where I almost threw in the towel. I had one short sections and one tall section on the left hand needle (22 stitches total) . I had one short section on the right needle (11 stitches) .

SPECIAL thanks to Ingrid and Kelly here for the hint: The key is to pick up stitches along the SIDE of the instep!

With the right needle I inserted the tip into the SIDE of the tall column. (ta-daa) when you pick up stitches with the side here you’ll be casting on more stitches than you previously had. (as per my #2 example, where I had 33 stitches, after I picked up stitches from each side of my 11 stitch nine row section, I ended up with all stitches cast onto the left hand needle and guess what, I had 59 stitches.

(At this point I was wondering if I had screwed up big-time! But, when I read the next part of the instructions the pattern called for me to have 57 stitches. (so I was off by a few)

5. Then it was back to basic knits, slips and purls so I just stuck it out till the end of the design. After cast off, I took out my needle and sewed up the bottom of the booty and the back of the heel. I looked at the work in awe because it actually looked like a little baby booty!

Now, I’m not saying these instructions are exactly what the designer intended. (I think so,and I sure hope I got it right. But, as a totally book/internet taught knitter sometimes I have to be a bit creative to get to a finished product.) I’d appreciate any advice on my process, and hope that people in a likewise situation as I was in (read: stuck and confused) will find my baby booties step-by-step useful.