P.S.
please reply A.S.A.P. so I can finish my dress. Thanks
biz10896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 12:56 AM   #2
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Welcome biz10896!

Okay, I've never had to do this, so I'm not an expert here....but it seems to me that the thing to do would be to (gasp!) cut a strand at the hem-place and pull it out all the way around the dress, putting the newly exposed stitches onto a needle. Then, using the excess yarn, start knitting down from those stitches to make a hem, if needed. (If it's stockinette stitch, a hem is needed. Purl a row, knit a row, decrease 10% of the stitches, and knit an inch or so. Turn the hem in at the purled edge, and sew the stitches off to the inside stitches of the dress.) If it's ribbing, or another pattern that doesn't curl, you don't need a hem; just bind-off. Use a larger needle for a loose bind-off, or do a sewn BO. You might want to experiment with a swatch of ribbing that you've unraveled this way; to see what BO looks good. It might look off from a normal BO, because with ribbing, and knitting down from where you started, any new knit and purl stitches will be off by half a stitch. Not noticable in stockinette, but noticable in ribbing.

Cutting the knitting in the middle of the work is a drastic thing, though, and I've not had to do this. It would be nice if someone else would chime in here, and double check my advice. I'm not missing anything obvious, am I?...

....Anyone?

Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 11:16 AM   #3
biz10896
Casting On

THANKS A MILLION
biz10896 is offline   Reply With Quote