Old 02-09-2005, 06:49 PM   #1
jennifergirl
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to jennifergirl
Resizing a pattern
Hello!

I am currently knitting my dog a sweater similar to the one found at: http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/kff-dogSweater.html. Mine is just plain wool, but the pattern itself is very similar.

My dog is only 11" around and 7" long. I am just not sure on how to convert the decreasing/increasing part for my new measurements. I used basic algebra to figure out the amount of stiches to start with by measuring how many stitches to the inch.

Is there a basic formula to fingure out how to make patterns smaller (and larger) in general? I couldn't find a pattern for a dog my size, so I will need to convert all of the dog sweaters to a smaller size.

Thanks in advance for any help that is offered!

:? Jennifer
jennifergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 10:53 PM   #2
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Welcome Jennifer!

Lion Brand's links haven't been working lately; at least for me, they direct me to a generic page on their site. Is the doggie sweater you're talking about the "Fun Fur" doggie sweater?

Wow, your doggie must be tiny! Sounds cute!

I don't know what pattern you're using, but you could try just making a tube in ribbing, from the neck to the back. Maybe increase in the chest area, and just leave two openings for the legs to pop through. You could later pick up stitches along the openings if you want to cover the legs, too. So, knit the tube until it reaches the back legs, and then bind-off the bottom and continue on the top a little longer to cover the back end. Round it out like shaping the top of a sleeve, in a curve.

If making your own pattern like this sounds too daunting, maybe someone can point you to a tiny dog sweater pattern! Yellowness was talking about making a sweater for a chiwawa (sp?), so you could ask her!

Hope that helps!
Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote