Old 03-29-2005, 03:37 PM   #1
jessmoor
Ribbing the Cuff

hooded poncho KAL
Hi everyone! When I saw the pattern for this hooded poncho I started drooling - I LOVE the baggy hooded sweatshirt look and this poncho is even cooler. It is a free pattern & pretty simple, but I've never done a big clothing project before so it would be a challenge for me. I can tell already I will need help, advice, etc! Would anyone want to try it with me? :D

The link to the poncho is here.

I know it's not technically a "spring/summer" project, but here in Seattle we need light jackets & such for evenings & cold days year round. Although I'm willing to postpone it if no one else wants to do it now....

Knitters Geek Code
KCR++ Exp SPM+ Metal+ Wood+ WoodCirc+++ Nov++* Stash+ Scale Fin>+ Ent? FI? Int? Tex?>+ Lace+ Flat Circ>++ ML?>++ FO5 WIP3 ALT=Em+
jessmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 05:00 PM   #2
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Re: hooded poncho KAL
Originally Posted by jessmoor
Hi everyone! When I saw the pattern for this hooded poncho I started drooling - I LOVE the baggy hooded sweatshirt look and this poncho is even cooler. It is a free pattern & pretty simple, but I've never done a big clothing project before so it would be a challenge for me. I can tell already I will need help, advice, etc! Would anyone want to try it with me? :D

The link to the poncho is here.

I know it's not technically a "spring/summer" project, but here in Seattle we need light jackets & such for evenings & cold days year round. Although I'm willing to postpone it if no one else wants to do it now....

Ooo this look so comfy-cozy!! I wish I could join you...

Do post updates ... and pics if you can

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 06:53 PM   #3
mascarasnake
1st Leg of the Journey

I am so all about this! Could we wait about a week, though?
mascarasnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 04:24 AM   #4
jessmoor
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by mascarasnake
I am so all about this! Could we wait about a week, though?
Yaaaay!! I'm soo happy to be able to knit this with someone! I can start whenever you'd prefer. A week sounds good, then I can finish my current project (a small skirt with railroad nov yarn to be worn over pants).

I got a bunch of chunky purplish yarn for this project, since it was on clearance (& I needed a lot), but now I worry that I didn't get enough. I converted based on yardage (per hank), but I wonder if I should have done it by grams instead :thinking: . What color did you decide on?

Knitters Geek Code
KCR++ Exp SPM+ Metal+ Wood+ WoodCirc+++ Nov++* Stash+ Scale Fin>+ Ent? FI? Int? Tex?>+ Lace+ Flat Circ>++ ML?>++ FO5 WIP3 ALT=Em+
Old 03-31-2005, 08:12 PM   #5
mascarasnake
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm looking for a yarn sub as well, but I'm having a bit of a hard time. The Patons Bohemian isn't exactly my cup of tea, but I'm having a hard time find another yarn that has a guage of 8sts =4" or 2 sts= 1". I suppose as a poncho, gauge don't have to be totally strict, but apprently the Bohemian is super duper plus extra mammoth chunky! Oh well, I'll find something...and we'll fight off the Northwestern rain in style!
Old 04-01-2005, 03:56 AM   #6
jessmoor
Ribbing the Cuff

The clearance yarn I got was close to the right gauge but a little different - it advises 3 sts per inch compared to the pattern's 2 sts per inch (size 11 needles). I think its normal chunky weight and the grams per yard was definitely less (0.9 g/yd versus 1.2 g/yd for the Bohemian). The brand is Classice Elite Yarns "TwoTwo", 100% highland wool (not sure what "highland" is).

I called the big yarn store (Pasttimes in Auburn) where I got the yarn to ask about converting the yarn, and they said that using a different weight of yarn is no problem, as long as the pattern gauge was followed. The person said to always convert by yardage, not grams (weight) to find out how much of the other yarn to get. I just think this means I'll probably have to use different size needles (bigger?).

I don't know from experience, since its my first big pattern , but i'd guess that you shouldn't worry about the size of the yarn too much, as long as its not a really big difference :?: .

Knit-alongs are sooo cool!!

Knitters Geek Code
Old 04-05-2005, 01:31 AM   #7
brookenic
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to brookenic Send a message via Yahoo to brookenic
I'm going to knit this too. How far along are you all? ~Brooke
brookenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 01:50 AM   #8
jessmoor
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by brookenic
I'm going to knit this too. How far along are you all?
I actually haven't started yet , but I'm planning to start tomorrow or Wednesday (tomorrow is looking to be a busy day). I'm really excited to get to work on it!

Knitters Geek Code
Old 04-05-2005, 09:51 AM   #9
Yvonne
Turning the Heel

I'm making a different hooded poncho for my daughter's teacher. Actually, I'm making her the Berroco Amore Ponshal and the Lion Brand Pretty Poncho (she bought all the yarn and sent it home with my daughter from school). I'll be starting the hooded one by the weekend, probably. It's pretty similar (shapewise) to this one you are all doing.

Yvonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 05:54 PM   #10
mascarasnake
1st Leg of the Journey

haven't started yet either...still need the yarn!