Old 07-19-2005, 04:55 PM   #1
Miss_Knit
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to Miss_Knit
a question for male knitters
do u knit in public? do u carry your stuff in knitting bag, even if it looks girly? what made you start knitting? ive been trying to explain to my friends that knitting isnt just for girls, like how football isnt just for guys. i have gotten some skeptical looks from that
Miss_Knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 05:01 PM   #2
Icyshard
Casting On

Perhaps you can tell your friends that knitting was originally a male-only occupation, waaaay back in the 1500s or so. How things have changed since then, huh!
Icyshard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 05:17 PM   #3
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
Show them all the pics of Russell Crowe knitting. They are linked to on a thread here somewhere.....do a search on Russell Crowe (search button above) and you'll find it!
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 07:15 PM   #4
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
I found a website using google and searched History of Men Knitting that brought up several. You could show these to your friends I have it pulled up for my dh LOL ... Are we allowed to post links to other subjects?? :thinking: if so I'd just post it for ya there is another website that has more info but I keep getting its shut down for a few days try again...

wooaaa bad english thar... edited..

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 08:31 PM   #5
Rorshach
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Rorshach Send a message via Yahoo to Rorshach
To answer your questions, Yeah, I knit in public. I even carry my stuff in my own knitting bag, though to tell you the truth it doesn't look like a knitting tote. but yeah, I'll bring all along. and get questioned by just about everybody :D As far as what got me started. Well it was primarily due to the fact that nobody else in my family knitted since my grandmother, and I felt like I needed a new afghan. (don't worry all, it's coming, 14 squares left).

Wisdom is knowing what to do. Skill is how to do it. Virtue is getting it done.

That which does not kill you, isn't trying hard enough.
Rorshach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 02:40 PM   #6
Joel
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Joel Send a message via MSN to Joel Send a message via Yahoo to Joel
Re: a question for male knitters
Originally Posted by Miss_Knit
do u knit in public? do u carry your stuff in knitting bag, even if it looks girly? what made you start knitting? ive been trying to explain to my friends that knitting isnt just for girls, like how football isnt just for guys. i have gotten some skeptical looks from that
Here's my answers as well...

1. Yes, I knit in public.
2. I carry my stuff in a backpack.
3. I wasn't getting crochet down. I was trying to do an activity I could share with my wife (she crochets). Plus it's a constructive thing and allows me to make gifts (once i get good enough to do so).

As for your friends, if they are guys... tell them to get some cahunas and get over it. They can try it and if they dont like it, fine. But they won't know until they try it.

~~Joelybean Schmoley Louise Schmoopypoo Mumpkins Gonzo Cupcake Muffin Sugarplum Sleepyman
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 09:07 PM   #7
JGM
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to JGM
1. All the KIP I've done is in the lunch room at work so far. But I just started KIP. I plan to do more KIP. I like saying KIP.
2. As of now, I keep my knitting in the horrid grocery bag. I plan on making a satchel eventually but I'm cheap and don't want to buy the recommended yarn.
3. I started crocheting in college and when I got good at that I wanted to try knitting.
4. KIP!
JGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 11:06 PM   #8
Miss_Knit
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to Miss_Knit
Originally Posted by JGM
1. All the KIP I've done is in the lunch room at work so far. But I just started KIP. I plan to do more KIP. I like saying KIP.
2. As of now, I keep my knitting in the horrid grocery bag. I plan on making a satchel eventually but I'm cheap and don't want to buy the recommended yarn.
3. I started crocheting in college and when I got good at that I wanted to try knitting.
4. KIP!
omg! i wanted to make that satchel too, but i saw this awesome pattern with skulls so im gonna make that asap!
Miss_Knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 11:17 PM   #9
Norman
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Norman Send a message via AIM to Norman Send a message via MSN to Norman Send a message via Yahoo to Norman
I do KIP.. I have a knitting group I go to on Saturdays and sometimes Wednesdays..

I also knit at the theater..

I started knitting cause my dad did.. and I loved the stuff he did..

My bag is a duffle bag.. but even if it did look girly.. I think I'd still use it.. I'm secure enough.. been picked on all my life about other things.. I can handle this

Knitting Blog
Webdesigner, Developer and all around nice guy
Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 08:00 AM   #10
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
Originally Posted by JGM
I plan on making a satchel eventually but I'm cheap and don't want to buy the recommended yarn.
OMG, J!!! You havent discovered WOTA from Knitpicks!! CHEAP and felts BEAUTIFULLY!!! You can make the large bag for not quite 30 bucks!
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote