Old 09-07-2005, 10:02 PM   #1
Tara-Marie
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to Tara-Marie
Extra Stitches?
I don't know how on earth I'm managing to do this, but it seems that I'm adding on stitches without knowing it. The scarf I began this week started out really thin at around 25 stitches. I counted yesterday, and I ended up at 40. I thought maybe I was accidentally poking the needle down the middle of the yarn, splitting it into two different pieces, but I started a sample piece and paid close attention ... and I'm still doing it.

Any ideas how or why, and how to stop doing it? :rollseyes:
Tara-Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 10:05 PM   #2
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

When you are starting a row, make absolutely sure that you are not passing the working yarn over the needle before you start knitting. This will create an extra 'stitch' and it's very easy to do and not even realize you are doing it.
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 10:13 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Knitqueen is right. If you see that you are getting a loop at the end, that's probably what you are doing. Make sure the yarn does not wrap around the needle on the first stitch.

Also, if you're switching between knit and purl anywhere in the pattern, you might be creating yarn-over increases accidentally by not having the yarn in the right position for the stitch you are making (in back for knit, in front for purl.)

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 10:29 PM   #4
Tara-Marie
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to Tara-Marie
Ohh, okay ... so I just slip the first stitch onto the working needle without wrapping the yarn around?
Tara-Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 10:44 PM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

You can knit you first stitch, but make sure the yarn is hanging down in back of the right needle before you knit or is hanging in front of the needle before you purl. Watch to make sure it doesn't wrap around the shaft of the needle as you make that first stitch.

Slipping won't help if your yarn is coming around the needle for the second stitch.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 09-07-2005, 10:54 PM   #6
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
here's the problem, when you do knit stitches the yarn is hanging down in the back. when you turn it, it is now in front. if you move it to the back by pulling it up over the needle that first stitch will look like there are two stitches that need to be knit. you have to make sure that after you turn it that you bring the yarn back by going UNDER the needle so that extra stitch doesn't appear there. same thing with bringing it to the front when purling. has to go under.

if you stop and just play with that first stitch you will see what we are talking about. Before you do anything pull your yarn up over and look to see what happens to that first stitch on the needle, then pull it down under. you will see that extra "leg" when you pull it over. THAT is the extra stitch you are likely knitting.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:25 PM   #7
kathyf27
Casting On

Extra Stitch
Hi everyone,

I'm a semi-beginner and need to know what to do when I'm supposed to have 63 stitches in the row and I end up with 64 after knitting a few rows. I really don't want to start over! Can I just go over two stitches at the beginning or end of the row? The pattern is k3, p3 for the entire shawl.

Thanks!

Kathy
kathyf27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 03:50 PM   #8
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Somewhere in your k3 p3 pattern there is a section with 4 stitches. That is where I would k or p two stitches together to get back to where you should be.

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 09-13-2005, 11:33 PM   #9
sarahsota
Casting On

Me Too!!
I am having the exact same extra stitches problem...I read the replies and still can't figure it out. I have been practicing a square that started with 15 stitches and a few rows later I have 20 stitches, and they keep increasing. I've watched the cast-on and knit stitch videos and seem to be doing them correctly. The only weird part is that after I cast-on, and then knit another row (starting my 3rd row) my yarn is in the wrong place. There's no way for the first stitch to wrap around the back counter-clockwise...it has to go over the front clockwise or wrap around twice (if that makes sense!). So when I look at my needle with the working part to the right, the working yarn is going out the back to the left instead of to the right. Any suggestions?
sarahsota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 12:02 AM   #10
kathyf27
Casting On

Extra Stitch
Thanks Ingrid. I'll try that.

Kathy
kathyf27 is offline   Reply With Quote