Old 01-23-2006, 01:15 PM   #1
chicagoknitter
Ribbing the Cuff

Can Cable Lengths Be Changed?
Forgive me if this question has already been asked and answered, I looked around quite a bit and did not see this particular problem dealt with.

I have a pattern that calls for circular needles 16" long and 32" long. I just bought the Boye NeedleMaster set and there are only 20", 24", 29" and 36" I guess?? What do I do? Do I need to buy new needles and not use my Boyes? I have seen where some people asked questions about knitting on cables an inch or two longer than the cable called for in the pattern - but is 4 inches too much of a gap? (To use the 20" in place of 16" and 36" in place of 32") I am planning on knitting a very bulky weight yarn for a sweater. I would appreciate any suggestions you experienced knitters have on this matter. I was all excited to get going with my brand new needles and yarn and pattern :(
chicagoknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 01:22 PM   #2
Lana
Turning the Heel

Are you going to be knitting in the round, or back and forth?
Old 01-23-2006, 01:23 PM   #3
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Unfortunately, you can't make a 16" circular out of the boye needlemaster set. The smallest you can make is a 20" and I personally have a difficult time working properly on that length. The knit stitches are okay but the purl stitches are difficult.

Sorry I need to run, I'll try to post a bit more later. Also you might want to check out the thread in the general knitting section with 'everything you need to know about interchangeables'.

Gotta run... :XX:
Old 01-23-2006, 01:24 PM   #4
chicagoknitter
Ribbing the Cuff

This is a sweater knit in the round, not back and forth. Is that impossible??
Old 01-23-2006, 01:29 PM   #5
gardenmommy
Instepping Out

To substitute for the 16 inch (which I'm guessing you use for the sleeves?), you could knit on two circulars (with needles the same size) and buy an extra set of the KnitMate tips since they are relatively cheap, I think like about 3.00 a pair. Check out the video under Advanced Techniques to see how that's done. Magic Loop would be another option.

You could probably get away with using the 29 inch instead of the 32. It's easier to "smoosh" stuff together than try to stretch it out over a longer needle.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:51 PM   #6
Lana
Turning the Heel

What Kristen said.
The other alternative would be DP needles for sleeves and neckline.
I can't imagine how they expected the cuffs of the sleeves to be knit in a 16" circular.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:25 PM   #7
jessi_9783
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to jessi_9783
I agree with Kristen too except for the Magic Loop suggestion. It is near impossible to do it with the Needlemaster. The cables are too stiff.
jessi_9783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 03:12 PM   #8
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by gardenmommy
To substitute for the 16 inch (which I'm guessing you use for the sleeves?), you could knit on two circulars (with needles the same size) and buy an extra set of the KnitMate tips since they are relatively cheap, I think like about 3.00 a pair. Check out the video under Advanced Techniques to see how that's done. Magic Loop would be another option.

You could probably get away with using the 29 inch instead of the 32. It's easier to "smoosh" stuff together than try to stretch it out over a longer needle.
I also was going to suggest the circular knitting on 2 circs method as shown in Amy's videos AND the great part about the needlemaster set in this situation is that you don't have to have another set of needle tips the same size. You can use the size you're going to be actually knitting with on one side of the circular and on the other side use the needle tip one size smaller. It's hard to describe but Amy describes it in the video on circular knitting on 2 circs.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:54 PM   #9
chicagoknitter
Ribbing the Cuff

I have attached the pattern for the sweater if that helps at all. I am a new knitter and I watched the videos on magic loop and using two sets of circulars. If I want to use the method of two circs I need to get another set in the size I am using right? I was sort of hoping to not have to buy anything else since the needle set and yarn has dipped into my knitting budget for a little while. :( Does anyone thing magic loop would work? Will I end up cursing the sweater and chucking it? Or is magic loop easier once you get the hang of it?

I appreciate all of your suggestions already. Thanks to everyone for being so helpful and quick with your answers. You obviously know I am chomping at the bit to get started over here...and once I looked at the pattern I was bummed to think that I might have to rethink the pattern or have to wait and purchase more needles.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:56 PM   #10
chicagoknitter
Ribbing the Cuff

Ooops I cannot get the pattern to link. It is a sweater pattern from Knitty called Top Secret and I found it on this site...so it is easy to get to here if that helps anyone to check it out.

Where does one purchase extra Knit tips as suggested by Kristen? Online? Stores??