Old 02-12-2006, 04:00 PM   #1
kd1949
Casting On

Complete beginner, what needles?
I know nuthin bout knitting but want to learn. What kind of needles are best to start with? I have plastic ones that came in a kit, but I am thinking I might rather have metal, since I seem to be bending these. What size, etc.? I told you I was a beginner!

Kathi
kd1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 04:16 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,827 Posts
Welcome to the addictive world of knitting!

I think plastic needles are hard to use, myself. I'd go with metal needles around a size 8 to start with for practice, with some worsted weight yarn. Just keep knitting and purling and you'll get the hang of it quickly.

Needles come in sizes from teeny tiny to big and fat, straight, circular, and double pointed. As you find things you want to knit, you'll see your needle collection growing.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 04:48 PM   #3
bjc1050
Turning the Heel

Re: Complete beginner, what needles?
Originally Posted by kd1949
I know nuthin bout knitting but want to learn. What kind of needles are best to start with? I have plastic ones that came in a kit, but I am thinking I might rather have metal, since I seem to be bending these. What size, etc.? I told you I was a beginner!

Kathi
While you are buying needles, I would suggest you purchase circulars. Susan Bates are my favorites. Wish I had started on circulars to begin with. When learning to knit in Home Ec class years ago, my mother simply purchased the 14 inch straights. Never tried circulars until this past fall when I decided to knit a dog sweater that called for circulars. You can use the circulars for flat knitting as well. If you MUST use straights, get the 10 inch ones. They're much easier to work with than the 14s. My arms are short and the 10s are more comfortable.

http://crochetbydayknitterbynight.blogspot.com/

Gen 8:22

While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease
KJV
bjc1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 05:10 PM   #4
kd1949
Casting On

Thank you both! I'm glad it's not just me with the plastic needles. It seems like it is hard to push them through the yarn, like they aren't sharp enough or smooth enough. I am going out to get some size 8's now.

Kathi :XX:
Old 02-12-2006, 09:37 PM   #5
kd1949
Casting On

I bought some metal needles and some bamboo, and also a circular needle to try all of them. I also found lots of great yarns on sale 60% off--they must have known I was coming, and needing to fuel the addiction!

Kathi
Old 02-12-2006, 09:40 PM   #6
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,827 Posts
Drug dealers often give customers a free 'taste' to get them hooked. Your store must have seen you coming. Just a warning--when you get to the point where you acknowledge that you're hooked, don't come here for help. We'll just tell you to buy more.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote