Old 03-15-2006, 01:10 PM   #1
Pixywhispers
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Pixywhispers
knit in front and back of stitch
What am I doing wrong? I'm knitting twice into one stitch but the second stitch looks like a purl. I know I've done this before, but don't remember it looking like this.

Thanks.

There is a time to be born and a time to die. A time to laugh and a time to cry, but there never seems to be enough time to knit.-Anon. (or to visit KH!)

Come visit my blog.
Pixywhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:01 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
You knit normally then don't slide it off. The second stitch goes down and into the back and pull the yarn through. It does look like a purl through the back, but that's the way it's supposed to be.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:09 PM   #3
Pixywhispers
Turning the Heel

Hey Jan,

Is it supposed to look like a purl next to a knit stitch? Or does it look like two knit stitches? Thanks.

There is a time to be born and a time to die. A time to laugh and a time to cry, but there never seems to be enough time to knit.-Anon. (or to visit KH!)

Come visit my blog.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:20 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Okay, I had to test it on some yarn that was sitting here. Yes, it does look like a purl at least on st st. Usually they are done in tandem like on a raglan so they would be sorta decorative. If you don't like that look then you can find a different increase.

Sounds like you're doing it correctly though.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Last edited by Jan in CA : 07-11-2007 at 10:24 PM.
Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:30 PM   #5
Pixywhispers
Turning the Heel

Thanks for testing it, for me Jan, you are a sweetie. Nah, you dont have to post it, we are on the same wave length.

Yeah my Knitters Handbook with all the cool increases is hiding, so I'm just gona stick with this one for this project. I'll change it on the next one though. Thanks for all the help. Its the Quickie baby sweater and it is turning out precious!

Come visit my blog.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:01 PM   #6
Denise in Michigan
Turning the Heel

Candace--
For a no-purl-bump increase in stockinette stitch:
1)Slip the left needle under the bar between the needles (the horizontal strand) and lift the bar onto the left needle.
2)Then knit into the back of the stitch you just formed on the left needle. Works great and creates no bump!
I bet Amy has a video on this on her great increase tutorial that's clearer than my directions!
--Denise
Denise in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 12:22 AM   #7
melissa.atkins
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to melissa.atkins Send a message via Yahoo to melissa.atkins Send a message via Skype™ to melissa.atkins
Candance,

I am happy you are figuring it out... cant wait to see it finished... once you are done, you will want to make many more, I am already working on the second one... :XX: