Old 07-06-2006, 05:56 PM   #1
KristiMetz
Knitting the Flap

Yarn for big shawl - bulky, cheap, lightweight?
I was wondering if anyone had yarn recommendations for me...

I want to make this Big Snuggly Shawl for this winter (for use around my home).

It needs to be warm, and reasonably cheap, and fairly lightweight (as she says in the pattern, if I don't use a fairly lofty combo of yarns, I'll be wearing a rug!)

Some acrylics fit the bill but I have to admit I am just not a fan of acrylics for my personal use. I guess I'm a yarn snob although I hate that phrase!

Anyone have recommendations for me? I'd really like something machine washable too, but that seems to be asking for too much!
KristiMetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:06 PM   #2
AidanM
Turning the Heel

Actually, that looks like it would be great in Red Heart's Light 'n' Lofty. I know you said you don't like acrylics, but that's just my opinion.

------Begin Knitter's Geek Code Block------

Version: 1.1

KCR Exp> Spm-> Bam+ Alu+ Syn+++ Nov--- Cot++ Wool++ Lux Hemp+ Stash++> Scale+> Fin@ Ent? FI !Int--- Tex+ Lace Felt- Flat Circ DPN Swatch- KIP++ SNB- EZ+++ FO> WIP+++ WGauge+ Cr+++ Sw+ Wv?> Sp?>

------End Knitter's Geek Code Block-----
AidanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 01:13 AM   #3
Mrs.H
1st Leg of the Journey

Have you considered the "Homespun" from Lions Brand? I am a admitted novice but I came across this yarn at Tuesday Morning when I went there for the NeedleMasters on sale last month. It just so happened I was looking for yarn for my first shawl(the easy triangle, my 1st big project), and at $2.50(normally $5.99) a skein for the discontinued color(sandstone) I couldn't go wrong. I am about haft way through, and and I've had friends ask where I got my alpaca yarn, I had to show one of them the label to convince her it was acrylic. I liked the way it looked and felt so much that I bought all 12 skeins they had so I could knit a lap robe to match the shawl I knitting now. It is fluffy, and light, and very soft against my skin, and since I have very(!) sensitive skin that is high praise.
Linda
Mrs.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:46 AM   #4
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

I second Homespun. I've made really long and wide scarves out of it for Christmas presents, as well as to keep myself. I wear mine when walking with my dh in the winter. It keeps me snuggly and warm, and it's very soft. With big needles, it knits up really quick.

Incidentally, I just looked at the pattern you'll be making. I have already bought Homespun to make that very pattern for a friend who moved away this year.
Rennagayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:24 AM   #5
geekgolightly
Turning the Heel

this is comparable in price to homespun but its alpaca and wool

twirl

and then there are a couple bulky yarns on sale that you might be interested in. tactel yarns
here and here
Old 07-07-2006, 11:46 AM   #6
Ladybug Lady
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by geekgolightly
this is comarable in price to homespun but its alpaca and wool

twirl

I'd say "darn you!" but that's too harsh for introducing me to - another - must have yarn! At least the "it's still cheaper than your motorcycle payment" defense is still an option....... :devil:

"I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has had to overcome while trying to succeed." ~ Booker T. Washington

WAGE PEACE!!

"Be the change that you want to see in the world." ~Mohandas Gandhi

"Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you." ~Jesus
Ladybug Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 12:42 PM   #7
geekgolightly
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Ladybug Lady

twirl

I'd say "darn you!" but that's too harsh for introducing me to - another - must have yarn! At least the "it's still cheaper than your motorcycle payment" defense is still an option....... :devil:
hehee :rofling:

yarns dont have the potential for head injuries either. its a safer hobby. do you think he would enjoy taking up knitting instead of open road rides? :imagines harley guy with itsy bitsy DPNs in hand making baby booties:
Old 07-07-2006, 03:20 PM   #8
KristiMetz
Knitting the Flap

this is comparable in price to homespun but its alpaca and wool

twirl

and then there are a couple bulky yarns on sale that you might be interested in. tactel yarns
here and here
Oooh, nice yarns. I browsed their site a bit and the Suri Dream looks like it would be really nice too. Do you think it would work for that pattern? Should I add in another yarn if I used it or just use it by itself, do you think?

Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions... it sure is hard to decide on yarn!
KristiMetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 12:00 AM   #9
earthchick
Turning the Heel

I did a shawl in Suri Dream and it turned out quite nice. I think it fits your bill - warm, cheap, lightweight - and I bet it would look great in the pattern you're looking at. It feels like a more expensive yarn than it is. My shawl used 4 balls, which means it only cost $16!

I would recommend needles with sharp points if you go with the Suri Dream. I used Addis, which are blunter, and sometimes found it frustrating trying to slip the yarn onto the needle quickly.

earthchicknits
The Seven Things Project
earthchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 01:17 AM   #10
Mrs.H
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Ladybug Lady

twirl

I'll add a daggone to the comment above, and I just bought a lot of reclaimed silk blend yarn on ebay last night! I'm not sure I could slip this by my DH on the heels of yesterdays ebay purchases. As to the hawg ridered knitting, some of the best crafts people I know are brawny, bearded, and ride hawgs. I say make room in the budget for both the yarn, and the hawg.
Mrs.H is offline   Reply With Quote