Old 09-23-2006, 08:17 PM   #1
mohair
Casting On

How to join into a round
Um...1st time on the circulars. I cast on--knitted cast on--the 55 stitches I'm supposed to begin with. After casting on 55 stitches the pattern says: "Join in the round and place a marker for the beginning of the round. Knit for two inches."

My problem: The tail of my cast on is on one end, the left, is at the otherand the working end at the other, the right. I went to the Goddess' video on circular knitting, and her work shows both ends of the yarn at the same place.

I don't know if I'm describing this well, and I don't have a camera. What I've got looks like what I'd have on regular straight needles.

Could someone Please tell me where I've gone wrong.

mohair in maine
mohair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:25 PM   #2
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
I would check amy's video on large diameter circular knitting here. Your work has to fit pretty closely to the entire length of the needle if you are using one circ. If it doesn't and there is a lot of circular needle left check out the magic loop video.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:39 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,827 Posts
She (the Goddess) probably used a different cast on that you. If you do a long tail, then the working yarn and tail are at the same end. If you use a single-strand cast on, they'll be at different ends. Just knit into the first stitch on the left needle and you'll be joined.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:40 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You haven't done anythng wrong, you just haven't joined yet. The video probably used a longtail cast on, so don't worry about having the tails on two different ends. Put the needle tip with the last cast on stitch (it has the yarn that's attached to the skein) in your right hand, place a stitch marker on that needle and proceed to knit the first round. You may want to tighten the first few stitches to make sure there's not a lot of slace between your last cast on. Then when you get to the marker, slip it to the right needle and knit the second round. Keep going for two inches.

You'll be fine.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 07:48 AM   #5
mohair
Casting On

Unity, sweet unity! I'm joined!

Thanks all for unraveling my mystery (slight pun intended). I had watched Amy's video (she is my Goddess) on large cirular diameter knitting, I just couldn't figure out why her cast on was different than mine.

Couldn't do it without all of you.

P.S. it's a hat for a wee one to be that I'm knitting
mohair is offline   Reply With Quote