Old 10-06-2006, 06:07 PM   #1
UTknitter
Casting On

Need help translating UK English pattern
I need help. I found the following pattern online but am having trouble "translating" it into American-friendly instructions:

Method for the slippers
The soles (two the same): Using 3 3/4mm needles cast on 9 stitches and work 1 row moss stitch. Working the whole sole in moss stitch, increase 1 stitch at each end of next row by knitting into front and back of first and last stitch. (11 stitches on needle.) Work 9cm without shaping. Decrease 1 stitch at each end of row by knitting first 2 stitches together and last 2.
Cast off remaining 9 stitches in moss stitch.
The uppers (two the same) :sing 3 3/4mm needles, cast on 19 stitches. Working the whole upper in moss stitch, increase 1 stitch at end of next row by knitting into front and back of last stitch, then increase 1 stitch at same edge on the next 5 rows for the toe shaping. (25 stitches on needle) Work 4 rows without shaping, finishing at straight back edge. Cast off 12 stitches in moss stitch at start of next row. Decrease 1 stitch at end of next row by knitting last 2 stitches together. Decrease 1 stitch at start of next row by knitting first 2 stitches together. Increase 1 stitch at end of next row by casting on 1 stitch after last stitch. Work 1 row without shaping. Cast on 13 stitches at end of next row (25 stitches on needle).
Work 4 rows without shaping. Decrease 1 stitch at toe end on next 6 rows. Cast off remaining 19 stitches.

Finishing
Join straight edges at back of heel on uppers. Insert sole, pin around edge and attach using simple blanket stitch, easing in fullness around toe.
Attached Images:

UTknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 06:14 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
What part don't you understand?

It uses size 5 needles, and moss stitch is usually k 1, p1 on the first row and on the next rows you purl the knits and knit the purls as they face you. The picture looks like this is right. They're adorable, by the way!!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 06:17 PM   #3
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

This actually looks like a fairly well worded pattern, the only thing is that it talks about metric needle sizes and cemtimeters instead of inches. A 3-3/4mm needle is the same as a US5, and 9cm = approx 3.5".
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 06:42 PM   #4
fluffypechey
Knitting the Flap

Hi from England!!

What dont you understand?

BTW they are so adorable I need to knit at least 6 pairs

Sharon

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. (Winston Churchill)

If I wanted to hear the pitter patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on my cat.

A cat acts the way it feels.

A LOOPA lover here ;-)
fluffypechey is offline   Reply With Quote