Old 10-12-2006, 04:35 PM   #1
BillSpace
1st Leg of the Journey

Knots in yarn
After reading this post http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting...ic.php?t=19224, I wanted to complain about buying yarn -- expensive yarn, good yarn -- and finding a knot in it midway through the skein. This happens to me almost every project. Sometimes, I find a knot in every single ball of yarn for a project.

Why is this? Am I just unlucky? Are manufacturers unable to produce a skein of yarn without breaking it off and knotting on another? Has anyone else had this situation?

It's not fatal, but it is annoying to discover, as you're midway through a row, a knot. If you take most knitting books' advice, this means un-knitting to the beginning of the row, cutting out the offending knot, then rejoining. Not so bad in a short row with stockinette; in a long afghan with cables, though, a major pain.
BillSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:42 PM   #2
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

I have noticed this also. This happens in probably 60-70% of my skeins. It is infuriating.
CarmenIbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:58 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
It IS annoying. I can't say it happens on every skein, but enough to be a pain. If it's wool, I cut the knot out and felt it together. I don't want to unknit a row. If I try to knit with the knot in, it invariably ends up with the knot popping out to the front.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 06:30 PM   #4
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

It happened to me, numerous times in a $18 skein of sock yarn. I had the same problem that the post you linked mentioned -- after one of the knots, the self-patterning effect started going in the opposite direction. It was VERY frustrating, especially you'd think with expensive good quality yarn you wouldn't have such a flawed item.

I'll keep you posted though, cause I talked to my LYS about it, knowing full well it wasn't their fault as they just sell the yarn but thought they needed to know - they were going to talk to their supplier about it and said they would let me know. I haven't heard from them yet so I hope they stay with their word and let me know.
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 03:41 AM   #5
Witchy Mama
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to Witchy Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Witchy Mama
I had my first knot the other day, I freaked LMAO, I was like OMG what do I do, what do I do, I'm such a ditz

working on
scarf [done]
booties [done]
baby sweater [stitching up]
pompom papoose [knitting]
bed socks [done]
scarf [sewing in ends]
pixie hat [done]
scarf [knitting]
Witchy Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 05:30 AM   #6
Tamar Dohel
Knitting the Flap

And I thought it was only the yarn I get in Israel!!! So, I never bothered to mentioned it!

Oh! I'm so relieved!

Anyway, the way I handle it is if I'm knitting a scarf which has to look smooth on both sides I tighten the knot as much as possible to make it as small as possible before knitting with it. Then I cut the ends of the knot as close as possible to it and carry on knitting normanlly. It hardly shows.

If I'm knitting a bag or something with a reverse side I leave the ends of the knot slightly longer, knit the stitch with the knot a bit looser and when I've knitted a couple of rows or so (sometimes I wait to finish the whole project) I tuck and pull the knots through to the other side.

I used to get very frustrated with this problem but I learnt to deal with it and I just accept it now. I'll be thinking of you and smilling on my next knot.

Tamar
Tamar Dohel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 01:17 PM   #7
MAmaDawn
Working the Gusset

I have this problem too. The only yarn that I have never had problem with is cotten yarn.

What I have started to do is just roll EVERY bit of yarn I buy. I do a center pull ball (thank you Amy) And it really doesn't take me long now to roll them into balls. IF I have several skiens then I will do some at the beginning and the rest later. I have had some that were so bad that returned the yarn and they have always been good about taking it back. Another reason that I do this is I have found it hard to find the center pull yarn in the skien.

I agree though it is very frustrating

Wife to GooB; Mom to Tori (7) and Belle (4) Jeremiah (2)

MamaDawn there too
My Little Shop
MAmaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 04:40 AM   #8
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
I am not sure of the truth in this, but I was told by an instructor that up to 2 knots per skein were "acceptable" in the industry. I think that rots, but based on my experience, I believe it. But then you wonder, if it's like a 450-yard hank, can there be 4 or 6 per industry standard? Hmmmm. Yucky no matter what.

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote