Old 10-15-2006, 10:35 AM   #1
Cristy
Instepping Out

Patons??
I'm gearing up to start Danica and I notice that the pattern calls for Patons Classic Merino...I've never used it before--do you guys like it? Has anyone made this scarf from another wool that they really liked? Just exploring my options...

Cristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:44 AM   #2
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
I like Patons Classic.. I've knitted a scarf for mom, fingerless gloves, and felted items.. I think it knits up really well.. I started Danica last spring but its still a UFO and I was doing it in Encore Dk and I was liking how it was coming along too... I need to get mine out and finish it

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:48 AM   #3
Cristy
Instepping Out

did you find it to be a difficult pattern? I can't tell how it all fits together from the pattern but I'm such a hands on learner that I know it won't make sense until I try it. I love the scarf but don't find it to be particularly feminine so I figured it'd be a good gift for dh. If I can finish it by this time next month (since I have more than one project going along w/ grad school (again) and another kid cooking..) then I'll give it to him as an anniversary gift (cause Lord knows I don't have any other ideas...), if not...it'll be a Christmas gift.

Old 10-15-2006, 11:01 AM   #4
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Before when I tried Enterlac I would get so confused and would end up ripping it out.. I would try to read all the instructions and it just didn't make sense.. when I started this I stuck right with the pattern.. I did not question why I was doing it even though I wasn't getting it.. I didn't even allow myself to read ahead... then before I knew it I got it.. I finally understood Enterlac and had no problems...

when I first started knitting and took a knititng class to make sure I was doing it right.. my inst. told me I thought to much when It came to knitting.. don't think just do it.. I still have trouble with this...

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 11:19 AM   #5

Originally Posted by dustinac
when I first started knitting and took a knititng class to make sure I was doing it right.. my inst. told me I thought to much when It came to knitting.. don't think just do it.. I still have trouble with this...
Oh my goodness, I'm the same way!! But then again, I think to much with a lot of things. But knitting is probably #1 for me.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:23 AM   #6
Cristy
Instepping Out

I wonder how hard it would be to make it longer...I notice that the pattern ends up 63 inches long. For me (I'm 5'2), that's a good length but for dh who is 6 ft tall..that would be a little short if he intended to wrap it around his neck at all. The scrunchable I made for him was about 60 inches and although he has never said anything--it really is too short for him. I wonder if there is a good rule of thumb for scarves...I think it should probably be similar to your height in inches...

If anyone has any ideas on how to make it longer--I'd love to hear them. I'm not sure how it would work since it appears that the scarf is made in pieces. Since I've not started...it's hard for me to envision how you would do it...I've never done enterlac before...

Old 10-15-2006, 11:25 AM   #7
Eloewien
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Eloewien
I love Patons Classic Merino-- I always have loads of it on hand. It knits up well, and also felts well if you want it to!

Laura
For mom: Celtic Knotwork sweater
For me: Rogue, shawl of my own design
For friends: Foliage hat, dragonscale wristwarmers
Eloewien is offline   Reply With Quote