Old 11-12-2006, 12:13 AM   #1
figaro
Working the Gusset

OT: Anyone from e. PA or w. NJ here?
We are moving there in just over a month and I am so happy! This has been in the works for over a year and finally the time is here to move. But I have run out of paper as I have already packed the knicknacks and pictures from the dining room and livingroom so here I am.

Since here in San Diego County it averages 75 degrees and sunny just about year round I thought I would check with the ladies and gents here at KH and see what the weather should be in that area around Xmas time. I am a northern CA native, almost to the border in Humboldt County where the Redwood trees are so I am used to rain and fog. I have been here since '98 and the weather has always made me feel not at home. I know that on the east coast you get 4 real seasons so I am looking forward to that. I just need to know if we need to buy some cold weather clothes before we leave (down here some people consider long pants and long sleeve shorts cold weather clothes! ).

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

figaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 05:41 AM   #2
horve1
Turning the Heel

Well...... Get ready for a change. I'm assuming you'll be somewhere close to Philadelphia, which is about 3 hours south of me. It will be in the 20's, 30's, 40's much of the winter, and considerably colder on occasion. You probably won't have too much snow, but enough to make driving a problem from time to time because it gets sloppy and slippery.
Recent FOs: Earrings; Celtic Cap & Scarf-y; Swatches for TWP; 6 EarFlap Hats; Hand-painted-yarn Sun Spot Stole that decided it wanted to be a Vintage Velvet Scarf; DD's Fuzzy Socks; Shadow Pillow; Aran Pillow; DS's Thuja Socks; Tree of Life Square; Sunny-Flower Square; Ornament; Extreme Knitting 2-in-1 Socks; Single-Needle Scarf Trio; DS's Cardigan; Qiviut Lace Scarf; DD's Daria Belt; DD's Fun Scarf; Mini-Purse from first yarn I spun; BECKA'S LEAVES OF WHIMSY SOCKS W/SWAP YARN FROM BECKA!!!; Knit Bead Bracelet & Earrings; Happy Socks; "Really Cool Socks"; Eagle's Flight Socks; Cabled Fingerless Mitts; Mistake-Rib Socks; Bamboo Mini-Bag; Felted Vase; DD's Basket; Felted Clogs; DS's Sweater; DD's Lacy Stole; Oversize Booga; Crazy Quilt; DS's Backpack.

On needles: A Special Secret Present; Never-Ending Afghan (remainders/reminders from all my projects).
horve1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:33 AM   #3
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
Well, since she's coming from California, I'm going to have to disagree on the "not that much snow" bit. It's not as bad as the Midwest or the Rochester/Buffalo areas of NY where they have lake effect storms, but there will be snow.

I'm in eastern NJ. As far east as you can go, in fact. Welcome to the east coast!

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:17 PM   #4
Sara
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Sara
Winter clothes should be at the top of your list. It will not be shirtsleeve weather a month from now, I can pretty much guarantee that.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:20 PM   #5
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

That means winter hats, scarves, and gloves/mittens, plus a winter coat. I'd go long to cover up your legs (they have knee length and full-length. I have a knee-length wool coat.) Knee-high boots are good to wear when it's really cold, even if they're under pants, because they keep your legs a bit warmer.

Sweaters are important, and some old long-sleeve T's are good to wear under them.

Am famoos!

Old 11-12-2006, 01:25 PM   #6
figaro
Working the Gusset

Thank you so much for the replies! I think I will try to hit the second hand childrens stores to get the girls some warmer clothes. Maybe it is time to finally hit the LL Bean catalog, oh I guess I will wait for that until we are there. I think the girls will need the most, I have plenty of sweatshirts (I always have something warm to wear) and so does hubby but since my girls are from here, they have more t-shirts and shorts...

Again, thanks for the responces and I can't wait to get there!

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 11-12-2006, 02:15 PM   #7
nadja la claire
Working the Gusset

I live in Glenside PA which is about 15 miles NW of Philly and you must call it Philly. You out also pronounce Eagles, Philly's football team, as Eggles, South Philly as SouPhilly, North Philly as NorPhilly. You must also get filum developed at the Ac-a-me and you must have a good at-e-tude. You must say you get your cheese steaks at Pat's but don't get them there instead get them at la Luna at 13th and South Sts.

Make sure you pack plenty of of warm clothes because although our winters have been somewhat mild, we can get some really cold and nasty stretches.

And most important Rosie's Yarn Cellar is at 20th and Locust, the Loop is at 19th and South and A Tangled Web and Knit With are on Germantown Ave. in Chestnut Hill.

Nadja xxx
nadja la claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:45 PM   #8
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Oh and people in that crazy state to the west of me, and in the southern part of my state (that should secede and become part of the crazy state) drink "wutter."

Am famoos!

Old 11-12-2006, 04:58 PM   #9
figaro
Working the Gusset

Thanks for the heads up on the "correct" way to speak over there! I am prepard for people to look at me funny for being from that crazy California state!

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 11-12-2006, 05:21 PM   #10
nadja la claire
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by figaro
Thanks for the heads up on the "correct" way to speak over there! I am prepard for people to look at me funny for being from that crazy California state!
We won't look at you funny and pay no attention to the penquin we do not say wutter we say whadder and we're not crazy, well at least not since Tuesday I think you should know that PA and NJ have a little compitition going on. By the way where are you moving to?

Nadja xxx
nadja la claire is offline   Reply With Quote