Old 11-22-2006, 12:47 PM   #1
Nocturna
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to Nocturna
Is there a difference?
Hey everyone! Long time no talk

I'm on Knitpicks right now checking out the yarn for Christmas projects, and since I'm on a tight budget, I'm especially looking at the $1.99 yarn (Wool of the Andes and Telemark, in particular). Is there a difference between them? I mean I know they are made of different materials, but if I was to make a scarf or a hat, would one be better than the other?

Another question: If I were making a striped scarf, would it be ok to knit together, say, Wool of the Andes and Shine, which is mostly made of cotton?

Thanks for any help!!!

"Sadness is eaiser because its surrender. I say make time to dance alone with one hand waving free." -Elizabethtown
Nocturna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 12:56 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,761 Times in 7,129 Posts
You can mix yarns as long as they are the same weight. Then it won't affect the pattern. WOTA is not washable though..it will felt. Another point to consider is that WOTA pills badly so it's probably best to leave it for felting projects.

I don't know anything about Telemark, but shine is a nice cotton. It would make nice facecloths if you need a quick gift.

Other people have used more of their yarn though.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 01:11 PM   #3
Nocturna
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to Nocturna
Thanks! That helped a lot, but it inspired one more question: If it says "handwash," does that mean it'll felt if I ever wash it? Can I knit a "handwash" yarn with a "machine wash" yarn?

"Sadness is eaiser because its surrender. I say make time to dance alone with one hand waving free." -Elizabethtown
Nocturna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 01:32 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,761 Times in 7,129 Posts
You can handwash gently in cool water and it will be fine. Then you can block it to get it's nice shape back. Hot water and a lot of agitation will possibly hand felt it though.

If you machine wash wool or other natural fiber that says handwash it will probably felt or at the very least shrink and look fuzzy. Machine washing a cotton that says handwash may damage or shrink it. Personally I wouldn't take a chance with something I put all that work into.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 01:34 PM   #5
cln
Casting On

I knit two rows with Telemark last night. It's much softer than WOTA, but it's still not as soft as the Merino. Then again I've only knit two rows (a total of 64 stitches) so it's not a real good review.

It is 100% wool and hand wash, so it would felt if you washed it. It's also a different weight than the WOTA. Did you look at Swish? That yarn is much softer, and you can wash it. I believe Swish and WOTA are both worsted, assuming that's what you want.
cln is offline   Reply With Quote