View Poll Results: What size needle do you use for your socks?
size 1 or 2 10 83.33%
size 000-0 0 0%
size 3 or up anything else makes my hands cramp! 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2006, 08:00 PM   #1
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,162 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
favorite place and kind of sock yarn to buy
Just wondering if you like getting your sock yarn locally or if there is a fav. web site you like to buy from.
jberry16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:09 PM   #2
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

I don't know what to choose. I have used 0 and 1 for fingering and 4 for worsted weight. (I really like the thicker socks -- they knit up so fast!)

Don't have a favorite yarn yet.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:10 PM   #3
psammeadred
Working the Gusset

So far, I've only used Bernat Sox (probably won't use again), Lion Brand Magic Stripes, and WoolEase Sportweight for socks. I bought all these at Hobby Lobby, but unfortunately, WoolEase Sportweight is discontinued, and Hobby Lobby doesn't carry Magic Stripes or Sox any more.
psammeadred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:48 PM   #4
ebrperk
Knitting the Flap

I get my sock yarn online most of the time. I like the KnitPicks Memories that I am knitting with right now. I also like Plymouth Sockotta (it is machine washable!!!!!).

One of the best sites with the best customer service is the Loopy Ewe. I have a link on my blog if you would like to check her out. [/url]

Everybody is somebody elses weirdo.

OTN--Branching Out Scarf
OTN--Naga Socks
ebrperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 08:20 AM   #5
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by ebrperk
I also like Plymouth Sockotta (it is machine washable!!!!!).
I read somewhere (a blog maybe?) that it's unpleasant to work with because it's not very stretchy. Would you disagree with that assessment? I've been wanting to try it, but I don't usually like cotton because I need my yarn to be springy. I was hoping the wool and nylon content would help.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
Old 12-01-2006, 08:44 AM   #6
mulene
Working the Gusset

I like Regia sock yarn. I've made 3 pairs with it and one pair with Lorna's laces.

My First Finished Project in 20 years!: Sirdar Foxy Scarf!

mulene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 09:36 AM   #7
mwedzi
Working the Gusset

I made my first practice sock with Knitpicks Shine on size 4s (bought online from Knitpicks), a pair with Lorna's Laces sport on size 3s (bought oat brick and mortar), a pair of socks with Online Sierra on 2s (bought at brick and mortar) and now I'm working on pair 3 and 4, one with Claudia Handpainted Yarn on size 2s (bought online at www.loopyewe.com) and one with Meilenweit Softcolor on size 1s (online at www.astridsdutchobsessions.com).

I'm scared that my needles keep getting smaller. I really want to stop at size 1. The fabric looks so much better than on size 2s.

mwedzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 09:44 AM   #8
Stonington
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Stonington
Re: favorite place and kind of sock yarn to buy
Originally Posted by jberry16
Just wondering if you like getting your sock yarn locally or if there is a fav. web site you like to buy from.
Could I also ask what kind of needles you all prefer?
Thanks so much!
anne
n sebago me

One Cable Mitts
Blue Sky Alpacas

Reading:
"All the Light We Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr
Listening in the Car:
"Dreams Underfoot " by Charles de Lint
Stonington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:11 AM   #9
psammeadred
Working the Gusset

I've used metal and bamboo DPN's. They're both fairly easy to use, but I need to run some waxed paper over my bamboo DPN's, because they're getting a bit scratchy. The metal tend to be a bit too slippery, though.
psammeadred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:15 AM   #10
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

I've only used KP circs, and haven't tried anything else because they're working out so well. They really are perfect for magic loop.