Old 12-28-2006, 03:25 PM   #1
losnana
Working the Gusset

OT - Natural remedies for arthritis
I've just learned that I'm allergic to Relafen, the drug I've been taking for arthritis. It is an NSaid, as is ibuprofen. I woke up yesterday with welts all over, some larger than my hand. Some (actually, a lot0 were also in my head Guess what Benadryl cream does to a hairdo. What fun!!

Anyway, I've researched online and have found several suggestions; they just all seem too good to be true. I seriously doubt that anything will make all the pain and stiffness disappear.

If anyone has personal knowledge of anything, please let me know. I trust what the members of this group say.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:43 PM   #2
dplantlady
Knitting the Flap

Not sure which type of arthritis you're dealing with, but....

I discovered years ago (through avoidance diets) that eliminating nightshades from my diet vastly improved a tendency toward arthritis/stiffness in my hands and other joints.

Nightshades are: tomatoes, potatoes, peppers & eggplant.

Yes, it was very difficult at first...but I wanted to be able to use my hands. Sooooooo, I persevered. I've found over time that I can allow myself a few of them (occasionally) as "treats" if I don't overdo it...I mean, what's shrimp without cocktail sauce???

Maybe it would help you?

Diane

Recently Finished Projects: 2 felted mobius cat baskets, MANY Lace Washcloths, The Magic Scarf from HELL, 6 Knitted Lace XMas Balls in crochet thread, Lace XMas Ball in mohair, 4 Initialed Washcloths, 2 Lacy Soap Socks (1 knit, 1 crochet), 2 Seamless Rectangle Snuggles (one outside in, one inside out), XMas Tree Illusion Snuggle, 3 scarves for presents, Fisherman Knit Snuggle, Turkish Stitch String Bag, Wheelie Steering Wheel Cover, Moebius Cat Basket, 9 Snuggles, Preemie Hats, Sandy's (Felted) Cat Basket
dplantlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 03:57 PM   #3
madametj
Working the Gusset

I looked up arthritis in my "Natural Remidies Encyclopedia" and well, the listing for arthritis is pretty long.

Under "diet" it suggests that you drink 1-2 glasses daily of any combination fo raw juices of beets carrots, celery, parsley, or alfalfa.

Eat leafy vegetables, whole grains, oatmeal, and brown rice. These supply vitamin K.

Eat fresh pineapple. Apparently the bromelain in it is good for reducing inflammation.

You can use ice packs to reduce inflammation and be sure to exercise you joints so that they dont stiffen

mix eucalyptus oil with water and rub on the affected area. wrap the joint in plastic wrap, and apply moist heat with hot towels.

HOPE THIS HELPS!

Bust some Stash!
madametj on Ravelry (quick, go add me as your friend and I'll add you! )
madametj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:00 PM   #4
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
well this will definitely get your mind off of it:

Quote:
Under "diet" it suggests that you drink 1-2 glasses daily of any combination fo raw juices of beets carrots, celery, parsley, or alfalfa.
mostly because you will be wishing you were DEAD if you wre drinking those things!

I have a full on love of things organic and/or natural but I can't help but think there are some things that just shouldn't be made into a juice!
Old 12-28-2006, 04:03 PM   #5
madametj
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by brendajos
well this will definitely get your mind off of it:

Quote:
mostly because you will be wishing you were DEAD if you wre drinking those things!

I have a full on love of things organic and/or natural but I can't help but think there are some things that just shouldn't be made into a juice!
my mom has forced me to drink carrot juice and carrot/beet combo juice plenty of times. trust me, its not that bad (especially if u drink it fast and hold your nose )

Bust some Stash!
madametj on Ravelry (quick, go add me as your friend and I'll add you! )
madametj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:25 PM   #6
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by madametj
my mom has forced me to drink carrot juice and carrot/beet combo juice plenty of times. trust me, its not that bad (especially if u drink it fast and hold your nose )
Don't ask me why, but DH loves carrot juice. As in, he drinks it voluntarily, and with gusto. I recently got him a juicer so he can make his own instead of buying the pricey pre-made stuff at the market. He's been drinking a huge glass of carrot/apple every day for the last week or so, and doesn't appear to want to slow down anytime soon. I told him he'd turn orange (or worse, OD), but he doesn't seem to be concerned about it. On the plus side, with so many carrots around (he's been buying in bulk), he's also made carrot cake with cream cheese icing a couple of times. Yummy stuff... I think I might need to eat some now, even though I haven't eaten a "real" lunch yet. Is that bad?

Oh yeah... as for arthritis remedies, I think my Dad has said good things about glucosamin and chondroitin, but the literature doesn't seem to support the claim that it does much. Maybe it's psychological.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:22 PM   #7
Woodi
Turning the Heel

My 86-year old father, who has some severe arthritis, says that Lakota brand capsules help him a lot. They have a variety of herbs in these.
Woodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:20 PM   #8
JLynn
Ribbing the Cuff

I have arthritis in the hands as well and I find a product with Omega 3,6,9 by spring valley helps, it just does not help if you have arthritis plus a pinched nerve that also effects your joints.

Last edited by JLynn : 12-19-2011 at 08:35 PM. Reason: need to update the product description
JLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:50 PM   #9
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,807 Times in 7,166 Posts
The original posts are 5 yrs old now, but maybe someone else can use the info.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:12 AM   #10
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,267 Times in 2,759 Posts
I take 3 - 500 mg. capsules of turmeric every day, with orange juice. I started taking it for a skin condition and while it was taking care of that, I realized my knees hurt much less, my hands aren't as stiff. Just in case it's of interest to anyone.

Aspirin makes my ears ring, ibuprofen makes me higher than a kite (as in "are you still cramping?" me: "I don't know, I don't care." giggle, giggle)

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote