Old 01-02-2007, 08:50 AM   #1
Diamonznpurlz
Ribbing the Cuff

Eve's Ribb question
Good morning, I am knitting a scarf with a free pattern from Misti International and it uses the Eve's rib. It had a ruffle on each end, but because its for a man, I did not do that. So, I cast on with 15 stitches as indicated and knit a few inches. Well, I think its too skinny and would like it a little wider but I can't figure out what cast on combination so that it will work. Any one have an idea?

Thank you!
Old 01-02-2007, 11:32 AM   #2
Diamonznpurlz
Ribbing the Cuff

I think my question was unclear so I am going to post part of the pattern here. Hopefully, this will make it easier.

Eve's rib pattern goes as follows:

Row 1: *knit three, bring yarn forward, slip stitch as if to purl, bring yarn back, repeat pattern from *, end with knit three.

Row 2: knit one, bring yarn forward, slip stitch as if to purl, bring yarn back, *knit three, bring yarn forward, slip stitch as if to purl, bring yarn back, repeat pattern from *, end with knit one.

I am trying to make it wider than than original 15 stitch cast on but I can't figure out the combination. Any ideas?? Thanks everyone!
Old 01-02-2007, 11:34 AM   #3
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

I did a search, and found instructions for Eve's rib right here on KH. If it looks the same as your instructions for Eve's rib, you can cast on any multiple of 4.

ETA: Nevermind. I started writing my post before I saw that you had added your instructions. Looks like your version is a little different.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:13 PM   #4
Diamonznpurlz
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks so much. I searched on the internet and didn't find anything. I also looked at Barbara Walker Treasury of Knitting Patterns (1) and it wasn't there. I will try it on my lunch break and let you know how it works out! Thanks!!!!!
Old 01-02-2007, 12:19 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It needs to be a multiple of 4 + 3, otherwise 15 stitches wouldn't work. So 19 or 23 would get it wider.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:28 PM   #6
Diamonznpurlz
Ribbing the Cuff

I think that is it! I'll try on my lunch break. THANK YOU BOTH!!!
Old 01-02-2007, 02:23 PM   #7
BillSpace
1st Leg of the Journey

By the way, not that it's of much help to you now: I've also heard this called "cartridge rib." Multiples of 4 plus 3 is right. I made a cardigan with it -- very visually interesting and good to knit.
BillSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:39 PM   #8
Diamonznpurlz
Ribbing the Cuff

It worked - thanks SO much! I really appreciate it! I got a couple of inches done on my lunch break.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you SOOO much!