Old 01-02-2007, 06:58 PM   #1
landolphe
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to landolphe
Using 2 circular needles
I recall, but can not find here, someone's explanation of how/why to use 2 sets of circular needles (or mismatched tips on one set) to change stitch size between rows.

Lost as usual,

Lando
landolphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:41 PM   #2
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

They are several reasons why you might want to use different sized needles... some that come to mind...

A lot of knitters purl more loosely than they knit, and one way to compensate for that is to use one needle size for knit rows (in stockinette, this will be the right side), and a slightly smaller size for purl rows (wrong side).

Tight knitters might want to use circular needles with a smaller left needle tip so that their stitches are not as tight when knitting off on the left needle, but are the desired size when being formed on the right needle.

Amy also talks about using different sized needle tips when doing the 2 circ method for small diameter knitting on interchangeables. It's a way to avoid having to have 4 of the same size needle tips. (It uses the same principle of knitting off a smaller needle as described in the paragraph above.) See her video for details.

Hope that made sense. Given what you said about changing size between rows, I'd guess it's the first explanation, but I thought I'd mention the others too. Of course, it could be something entirely different.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:20 PM   #3
landolphe
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to landolphe
I'm making a Scribble-Scrabble Scarf (Lion pattern) that alternated each 2 rows between an extra bulky yarn and a crochet cottonyarn. Patterns says knit everything on US 15 needles. Did that, but size of stitches in each yarn are quite different. I am a loose knitter. Tried doing heavy yarn with 15s and light yarn with 35s (don't have any sizes in between)--it was better, but did not look quite right (?).

Lando
landolphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:41 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It's supposed to look different due to the different thicknessess of the yarn used. Can you post a picture that shows why you don't think it was coming out right?

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote