Old 02-18-2007, 03:32 PM   #1
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,162 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
OT: i pod video
does anyone have the video i pod? if so please leave your comments. I'm thinking of buying one for our trip, we leave Fri. and will have a plane ride with both kids and then a 3-4 hour car ride. I want this to play movies for my dh to watch so he doesn't drive us crazy; it's just the kids, my father in law and me. my dh is comming later...darn out of state family weddings.
also if you have any tips on flying with two kids under 3, ds will be 3 in April and dd will be 1 in March. tia.
jberry16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 03:46 PM   #2
PCwombat
Knitting the Flap

I love my video ipod. I have the 60 gig version. I bought that one not for the bigger capacity, but for the longer battery life. I use mine mainly for music, but I do have some videos loaded onto it. Google video has an option that allows you to download their videos in the ipod format. My dad also has a video ipod, and he bought a program that allows him to put DVDs on it. He uses it for flights a lot and loves it.
PCwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 04:24 PM   #3
DoulaLyndsey
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to DoulaLyndsey Send a message via Yahoo to DoulaLyndsey
I've got the the 30GB iPod video and I love it! The battery life on the 30gig is only about 2.5-3 hours for video, though. And, unless you buy or download a special converter, you will not be able to put your own DVDs on the iPod, you'll have to buy them from Itunes. I currently have 5 movies on my iPod and it's come in handy during doctors visits when the kids start getting bored, I pop out the iPod and they're happy for a bit .

Also, there is also a video knitting podcast out there called LetsKnit2gether that's free to download .

DoulaLyndsey on Ravelry

Currently working on:
-Lotus Blossom Tank (for me!)
-socks for step dad for xmas
-Fiber Trends felted clogs for great-aunt for xmas
-Sun Ray shawl from Elann for grandma for xmas
DoulaLyndsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 04:45 PM   #4
annomalley
Knitting the Flap

I have a 30G Creative Zen Vision M, which is like an iPod, except that you can rip songs from your CD's and they will play on this player. I am not limited to one music service to get music. Like the others mentioned, you can only get DVD's/music at iTunes or download a converter to convert your DVD's. This might not be an issue for some people, but for other people it is. This was enough of a factor for me personally to decide against getting an iPod. If you were to go with a different player, be aware that it is harder to find accessories for anything that is not an iPod and iPod accessories don't work with non-iPod players.

In a lot of these larger capacity players, the battery is built in, so when that battery won't recharge anymore, you have to replace the entire player. Movie files take up more room than music files, too, as well as battery life. I don't watch movies on my player because I don't like watching video on the tiny screen.

You might want to check out other sites, especially online retailers, that sell mp3 players/iPods and read the customer reviews of people who bought them. My DH buys computer parts from Newegg.com, and they sell mp3 players and iPods. You might not make your purchase online, but it helped me when I was shopping around to read what other people thought of certain players. I ended up buying my Zen at at the store.

A portable DVD player might actually serve you better than an iPod, but it all comes down to personal preference and your own needs. iPods are easier to carry around, but you can play DVD's you already own on a portable DVD player. Most DVD players also play audio CD's, too. Again, you would have to look around to see which player does what and decide on what you think will work best for you.
annomalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 04:47 PM   #5
jberry16
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,162 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jberry16 Send a message via Yahoo to jberry16
thanks guys, letsknit2gether, hummm have to check that out.
I'm going to best buy. com and order it now for instore pick up. I'm also gonna get the vehicle and wall charger, so we can charge it in the rental car and at the hotel...of course I wont leave it alone in the hotel, so I'll be knitting a sock for it so it doesn't scratch when I put it in my purse.
jberry16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:29 PM   #6
PCwombat
Knitting the Flap

I just want to mention that you can rip songs to your ipod from CDs. That's where most of my music comes from.
PCwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:31 PM   #7
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
Originally Posted by annomalley
I have a 30G Creative Zen Vision M, which is like an iPod, except that you can rip songs from your CD's and they will play on this player. I am not limited to one music service to get music. Like the others mentioned, you can only get DVD's/music at iTunes or download a converter to convert your DVD's.
Um, I have over 23.5 gigs (Or 6568 songs) of music on my 30 Gig Video iPod.

I purchased MAYBE 100 of those songs on iTunes, the rest are from CDs and um. Yes. Other places.

So iPods don't limit you for music--only DVDs.

Anyway. I've never used the photo/video capabilities on my iPod. I don't like the tiny screen. I've been thinking about downloading games for it, though.

I looooove my iPod (it's my second), I couldn't live without it.

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:25 PM   #8
sheldon
KH Geek
Site Admin

Thanked 1,476 Times in 527 Posts
Amy and I have 30GB video iPods and we love them. We both watch videos while doing cardio and they make the workout fly by. Amy buys shows from iTunes. I have taken to renting shows from netflix and converting them to iPod format. The software is called Cucusoft iPod Video Converter Suite and isn't terribly expensive. Although, it does takes a while to convert a DVD though since it's such a large and data intensive process.

There are also a lot of good free video (and audio) podcasts you can subscribe to. We have a Belkin converter in the car which will transmit the iPod audio through the car speakers (in addition to charge it). So now we never complain that there's nothing good on the radio. Our favorite podcasts are nerdy science shows. We're a couple of geeks.

iPod CPR Tip: I dropped my iPod pretty much on the first day I got it. I was running on the treadmill and snagged the cable with my arm and it came crashing down; I nearly stepped on it! It wasn't happy! It locked up and wouldn't respond to anything, although the screen was still glowing (good sign!). I was pretty sure I killed it! So, I search google for "dropped iPod" and found a post on some forum or blog with instructions on how to reset a dropped frozen iPod. You press and hold the center button and then while still holding it down you press and hold the menu button. After about 5 - 10 seconds it should reset and voila your iPod is ressurrected. Hopefully this tidbit helps someone who's as clumbsy with their iPod as me!

- Sheldon
Old 02-19-2007, 09:40 AM   #9
hellokitty165
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to hellokitty165
there is a version of IPOD that you can store knitting pattern in there... using PDF files...i am really looking into that now...since i travelled alot !

hope this helps
Old 02-19-2007, 10:20 AM   #10
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

Lonnie has just gotten the big IPod and he LOVE, LOVES the video feature, he has music videos on his, but he loves it, can't say enough good things about it and he's had several IPods (trades up with each new generation, I think) and it seems to be his fave.

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote