Old 04-23-2007, 11:55 AM   #1
LizzieM
Casting On

Need help with beginner scarf pattern
I am a beginner and need help with a pattern for a diagonal knit/bias knit scarf... (Instructions are at end.)

What does "Slip first stitch as if to purl" mean? Is that part of the increase or is that done before the increase?

Also, what does "knit 1 18 stitches" mean? Are those additional stiches for the row, or does that just mean that all stiches in the row (except for increase & decrease) should be knit stiches?

Thanks!

-----------

Cast on 18 stitches.

Row 1 Slip first stitch as if to purl. Knit into front and back of next stitch (increase 1). Knit until 3 stitches remain on needle, knit 2 together (decrease 1), knit 1 18 stitches.

Row 2 Slip first stitch as if to purl. Knit to end.

Repeat Rows 1 and 2 until about 24 inches of yarn remains. Bind off loosely and weave in ends.
LizzieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:04 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
The slip stitches at the beginning of each row are just to make a smooth chainlike edge, which is why the increase is in the next stitch. The `18 sts' at the end of the 1st row is to tell you you'll still have the 18 sts left that you started with - the increase and decrease on that row balance each other and make it slant.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:21 PM   #3
LizzieM
Casting On

Sue - I didn't really understand your reply. I am that much of a beginner! So, if you can bare with me... What exactly is a slip stich? Also what did you mean by "you'll still have the 18 sts left that you started with"?
Old 04-23-2007, 12:23 PM   #4
LizzieM
Casting On

Oops. I meant "bear with me".
Old 04-23-2007, 12:33 PM   #5
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
Go to the glossary on this site, I believe there is a video for slipping stitches.

Basically, you put your needle into the stitch as if you were going to purl it, but don't wrap the yarn, just pull the stitch onto the right needle.

The "knit 1-18 stitches" is telling you that you should knit the next 18 stitches, which I believe should be all of them.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:38 PM   #6
tarrentella
Working the Gusset

ok to slip a stitch, you just movit from one needle to the other without doing anything to it, in this case you insert the needle into the first stitch as if you where going to purl it, but instead of doing a purl just slide it from the left needle to the right needle.

on and as for having 18 st left,i'll try and go through stitch by stitch.

you start with the 18 stitches you have cast on.

you slip the first stitch, (1) you do the increase, making 2 stitches out of one, so intotal, you now have 19 stitches (3 on the right needle and 16 on the left), then you knit the next 13 sitches as normal, the you do the decrease making 2 stiches into 1 stitch, (you now have a total of 18 live stitches) then knit the last stihe on the left needle. You are left with 18 stitches on the needle, just like you atrted with.

The decrease baances out the increase so you ultimately have the same number of stitches all the way through.

Oh and BTW when a pattern talks about number of stitches it is talking about the 'live' or working stitches on the needles at the time, not including any which have been done on previous rows.

hope thatmakes some sense.

I am Tarriknits on Ravelry

This is my not necassarily knitting related blog.
tarrentella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:48 PM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Originally Posted by Abbily
The "knit 1-18 stitches" is telling you that you should knit the next 18 stitches, which I believe should be all of them.
That's not quite what it meant. You end the row with a knit 1, the `- 18 sts' is just to note that you should have 18 stitches at the end of the row. Since you started with 18, you still have the same number.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:12 PM   #8
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
Sue- thanks for the correction!

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:27 PM   #9
LizzieM
Casting On

Thanks for all of your help! It makes a lot more sense now.