Old 04-27-2007, 10:49 PM   #1
alchemyfyr
Ribbing the Cuff

Charity Knitting
Hi all! I love working with charities and making a difference in someone's life. Lately, I have been knitting and crocheting for local hospitals and shelters. One day I would love to start my own charity but for now I try to make others aware of how they can help out.

On another site I started a group called CharityCentral at http://charitycentral.gather.com where I write short articles about charities in the hopes that people on the site will find a charity they would like to contribute to. I write what the charity needs, who they help, and their contact info.

I know many of you on this site donate to charities and I was wondering if you thought it would be a good idea to make a list of charities on this site so everyone would be able to find a charity that means something to them. Since this is such an important cause maybe it could be a sticky post at the top of a page?

I would be willing to compile the list alphabetically if people wanted to PM me with a charity, what they accept, city, state, and contact email, and website if available.

Maybe we can set a challenge to see how many items we can make in a month as a whole group so we see what a major difference we can make.

I'd love some feedback from the moderators and other members.
Thank you,
Kristy
Old 04-28-2007, 01:38 PM   #2
tilllie
Knitting the Flap

Spunds like a good idea to me. I knit for Project Linus which has a national headquarters as well as local chapters. Good luck!!
tilllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
AnnaT
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by tilllie
Spunds like a good idea to me. I knit for Project Linus which has a national headquarters as well as local chapters. Good luck!!
Project Linus is a wonderful charity. I used to work in an emergency shelter for neglected and abused children, and we had a CLOSETFUL of blankets from Project Linus to hand out to each new arrival.

This isn't really a charity, but if you live in a cold area, people can call their local Head Start office and ask if mittens and hats are needed. I also used to be a Head Start teacher in western NY state and can tell you first-hand that lots of times the children came to school without hats and mittens. I used to stock up on hats and mittens from the dollar store, but I didn't know how to knit then. These would be for ages 2.8 through 5 years old.
AnnaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 03:54 PM   #4
aineepooh1
Working the Gusset

well right now someone has posted that a LYS near Virgina tech is taking crochet/knitted squares for comfortghans just FYI