Old 06-26-2007, 11:03 AM   #1
geekgolightly
Turning the Heel

Our Oceans are turning into plastic. Are we?
A vast swath of the Pacific, twice the size of Texas, is full of a plastic stew that is entering the food chain. Scientists say these toxins are causing obesity, infertility...and worse.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:37 PM   #2
Silver
Instepping Out

OMG.. those pix are heartbreaking. Hubby teases me when I cut plastic rings and six-pack containers. I just tell him I don't know where this will end up...

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 12:42 PM   #3
debinoz
Turning the Heel

I cut mine up too. That picture of the turtle should be enough to make everyone do it.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:43 PM   #4
geekgolightly
Turning the Heel

I am trying to edit out as much plastic from my life now. I am collecting the plastic bags from the grocery stores, including the ones I use to contain my fruits and veggies and reusing them. I take them with me to the store. There are biodegradable alternatives to plastic for kitchen uses, but they are really expensive. I need more ideas about how to lessen the amount of plastic I use and dispose of.

I read this article two weeks ago, and am still walking around in a state of shock.

Oh! I am also buying milk from cardboard cartons or glass and looking for anything any alternative to plastic packaging, especially the single-use type and will support companies that have alternatives to plastic.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:54 PM   #5
Silver
Instepping Out

The info about recycling really opened my eyes. I've always been a steadfast recycler, being careful to put every bit of recyclable material in one of our 3 blue recycling bins. There are only 3 of us on my whole street that recycle!! WHY?!? Our bins are delivered for FREE!

I guess it is better than not recycling at all, but I'm going to look at plastic containers differently now. And I think I'm switching to paper bags at the grocery store...

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:13 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,740 Times in 7,112 Posts
That is so sad. We have 3 large bins (trash, recycling, green waste) and we usually have much more in the recycling bin that the trash bin. As far as I can tell most of our neighbors recycle, too.

I am planning on getting some canvas bags for groceries, but money is tight right now. We do reuse the plastic bags though so I guess that helps. We can all do more though for sure.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:28 PM   #7
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
Jan, if you have a Trader Joe's near you, they have canvas bags for either 99 cents or a $1.99. I also bought an insulated bag that is reusable, which is great because I walk to and from the grocery store. I've got one insulated bag, and one canvas, but I plan on upping that a bit. And I think I'm going to start bringing the canvas to different types of shops--I hate how EVERY store wants to give you a bag.

That pour turtle. I cut plastic ring things into ridiculously tiny pieces, but I rarely buy anything that uses them.

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:20 AM   #8
geekgolightly
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
That is so sad. We have 3 large bins (trash, recycling, green waste) and we usually have much more in the recycling bin that the trash bin. As far as I can tell most of our neighbors recycle, too.

I am planning on getting some canvas bags for groceries, but money is tight right now. We do reuse the plastic bags though so I guess that helps. We can all do more though for sure.
you can knit shopping bags out of sugar and cream! I found this pattern

http://www.craftzine.com/blog/archiv...pping_bag.html
Old 06-27-2007, 12:31 PM   #9
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

GGL, thanks for starting this thread. What a moving article! It's given me pause.

I want to share something very positive and uplifting with you all. A few months ago I came accross this incredible website www.ecocycle.org, which helps organize Zero Waste events in Boulder, CO. I'm organizing a singing event (happening this Saturday) and I decided to make it a "Green" event. We'll have compost collection! Not just for food scraps: we've bought earth-friendly, biodegradable plates, cups, and fake-plastic forks (made from potato starch), so it can all be composted. This is an event with about 100 people, and a potluck dinner on the grounds. I expect to have less than one bag of trash, and instead, several bags of compostables! Of course we'll have recycling collection as well.

I just posted more details in my blog thread.

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
We just bought a couple reusable bags at Target today!
Yay Jan!

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham

Last edited by amy : 06-27-2007 at 01:08 PM.
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:36 PM   #10
Kaydee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Kaydee
This article was so sad. I couldn't believe the picture of the turtle, how does that even happen??? I can't blieve that the garbage went on for hundreds of miles, its horrible.
Kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaydee For This Useful Post:
geekgolightly (06-27-2007)