Old 07-04-2007, 11:15 PM   #1
Marni
Knitting the Flap

If YOU were to knit a baby blanket
If you were to knit a baby blanket for someone special which pattern would you use. Do you have one you've tucked away for that special occassion?

My niece is having a baby in January. Don't know the gender yet. I've searched and searched through the free pattern sites and the Whatcha' knitting forum. There are so many good ones (squares, diagonals, lace, stripes, ruffles, hearts, and yes even fish) it's hard to decide. Plus what color is right? I always thought pastel or white, but after looking around I see that just isn't the case.

So give it up ladies... what secret baby blanket pattern do you have stashed away?
Old 07-05-2007, 12:02 AM   #2
knitwit628
Knitting the Flap

hmmm... i really really like this counterpane lace baby blanket:
http://megan.kiwi.gen.nz/Square/

I think it would be a very wonderful gift!!
Mother Bear- Seaming!
Check out My Blog
I am kssunflower on Ravelry.
knitwit628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:24 AM   #3
Krystal
Turning the Heel

that's a lovely blanket. But I am a firm believer in no lace for baby blankets. Their tiny fingers could get caught in the eyelets so easily, and snag the yarn and, overall it seems like too much fuss for an everyday blanket for me.

I was just searching high and low for a baby blanket pattern and still haven't found one I love. I am just knitting a plain ol stockinette baby blanket with stripes of yellow and pink.

I will keep an eye on this thread tho to see what produces.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:05 AM   #4
stagebear
Knitting the Flap

http://www.knitlist.com/00gift/round-baby-blanket.htm
this is one of my favorites. i'm knitting one in bernat baby boucle (pastel teal and lav) for my cousin. we just found out that my bf's sister is pregnant, and he choose that pattern for her too.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:00 AM   #5
lulu2
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via MSN to lulu2
Have a look on my blog (scroll down) - there is a baby blanket that I made recently. If you like it, let me know and I will send you the pattern - it is my own made up pattern. I knit it all the time because it is mindless, but has a bit of a pattern to keep you awake and also, you can vary the thickness of the stripes and colour pattern.
lotsa love
lulu

blog address : www.1001arabianknits.blogspot.com

Last edited by lulu2 : 07-05-2007 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Um, maybe I should give my blog address ...
lulu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lulu2 For This Useful Post:
Madrina (07-11-2007)
Old 07-05-2007, 06:56 AM   #6
mare-nitt
Turning the Heel

Lulu,
I read your reply and I took a look at your blog, very fun to read. I love your baby jersey's, wonderful soft colors and the baby blanket is daring.

Marilynn
http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/n...albumview=grid
mare-nitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:06 PM   #7
susi
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to susi
Originally Posted by lulu2 View Post
Have a look on my blog (scroll down) - there is a baby blanket that I made recently. If you like it, let me know and I will send you the pattern - it is my own made up pattern. I knit it all the time because it is mindless, but has a bit of a pattern to keep you awake and also, you can vary the thickness of the stripes and colour pattern.
lotsa love
lulu

blog address : www.1001arabianknits.blogspot.com

i am totally inlove withthe baby blanket you have knited in your blog. do you have a link for the pattern please as i would love to knit it.

i hope you don't mind me asking, but its georgous

susi
susi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:23 AM   #8
Wolfmama
Casting On

Originally Posted by lulu2 View Post
Have a look on my blog (scroll down) - there is a baby blanket that I made recently. If you like it, let me know and I will send you the pattern - it is my own made up pattern.]
Lulu, I would love to have that baby blanket pattern...my first grandchild is due in February. Will you share it with me?
Wolfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:52 AM   #9
POLLI
Casting On

lulu your work is beautiful, I love your baby blanket and baby sweaters. Is your blanket feather and fan pattern ? I've wanted to always try that pattern. I've been working on dishcloths and spa face cloths. POLLI
POLLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:28 AM   #10
cookworm
Working the Gusset

I don't have a favorite pattern for blankets; rather, I just make whatever pattern seems to "call out" to me. As for colors, you can certainly choose pastels--mint green, peach, or yellow work well for not knowing the genders (as do off-white and white)--but for me personally, I prefer to make things in bolder colors or neutrals. Tan, forest green, burgundy, navy, brown, grey--they all work well. Bright colors also work great because kids and babies look good in brights, too, and they're fun for kids. I don't know if there's a hard and fast "rule" for colors. If you're still stuck on colors, you can also consider choosing a color that the mom and/or dad like too, because they will be toting the blanket around with them. Of you can choose a color based off of whatever color that the nursery will be if you happen to know that information.

I'm on flickr, too!
I love to knit shawls...after all, a girl can't have too many shawls!
cookworm is offline   Reply With Quote