Old 07-10-2007, 10:15 AM   #1
Slim
Working the Gusset

Which interchangeable needles?
I'd appreciate some feedback to help me make a decision. I recently decided to get a set of interchangeable circs. After looking at the various options, I decided on Denise, primarily because of the shorter cable lengths they offer. I received my Denises 2 days ago and cast on immediately, and I'm sorry to say that I don't much care for them. I'm having trouble with the yarn sliding over the connectors (or not), and the needles themselves seem to have more drag than I expected. I should probably mention here that most of my experience with circulars has been on Addis. I know there are a lot of knitters who love their Denise needles, so tell me: will I get used to them? Is it an acquired skill? Or should I return them and go for the KnitPicks Options?
Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:18 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
If you're used to Addis, then definitely go for the Options, hands down.

I haven't used the Denises--I love slick, metal needles, but I love my Addis and Options.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
Slim (07-10-2007)
Old 07-10-2007, 10:21 AM   #3
Braden
Instepping Out

I haven't used the Denise, but I have used the Boye, and I can tell you don't go for them. Definately go for the Options. I like slippery metal needles, too, so the Options and Addis are great for me. And, you'll probably never be happy with them, since your so used to Addis, so why bother?

CONGRATULATIONS TO AMY AND SHELDON ON THE BIRTH OF THEIR DAUGHTER!

BradenCS on Ravelry
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Braden For This Useful Post:
Slim (07-10-2007)
Old 07-10-2007, 10:29 AM   #4
ready2knit
1st Leg of the Journey

Location: Like Alice, I've fallen down the rabbit hole and landed in the midwest and asking WHY?!
I'm an Addis and Options girl. I return the Denise since your not happy with them from the start.

Jana
ready2knit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ready2knit For This Useful Post:
Slim (07-10-2007)
Old 07-10-2007, 11:45 AM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
There is a sticky thread/poll at the top of the page that has all kinds of comments about various interchangeables. Check that out for tons of info.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Slim (07-10-2007)
Old 07-10-2007, 03:21 PM   #6
knitasha
Turning the Heel

I use Addis more than any other needles, but I like my Denise set very much, especially for slippery yarn, and for the fact that they're lighter (therefore easier on the hands) than either Options or Addis. They're also great for throwing in your bag when you're going to be trying out yarns, or when you're traveling.

I bought several pairs of Options. Loved the sharp points and skinny, flexy cables. But they were nothing but trouble, what with poor finishing on two of the end pieces and one cable that wouldn't connect with anything. KnitPicks replaced them without questions, but I still find that they start coming unscrewed after several inches of knitting, especially with laceweight. When the fine yarn starts catching on the joins, I know that some of the threading is exposed and it's time to tighten up the needles again. (Yes, I use the mini-wrench.) Also, the ends I use most are beginning to tarnish. I am giving up on the multiple-size Options, but I do think I will try the single-size version, especially in small sizes.

My Denise set has been trouble-free for many years, and I do enjoy it for certain things. But look -- it's a personal thing. If you just don't like how they feel, swap them for something else, or sell them on eBay.
knitasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:46 PM   #7
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Sell your Denise's on Ebay and get the Options!

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:11 PM   #8
redheadrachel
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to redheadrachel
I have the Options and absolutely love them. The knitting teacher at my LYS actually was telling me about how she would never want interchangeable needles because of the bad joins. I brought in my set during a Free Knitting and now that she's seen the super smooth joins (and the most flexible cable EVER) she is going to order herself a set! And I, personally, use them all the time and have yet to have a needle unscrew if I've tightened it properly. They're absolutely as amazing as everyone says. At least.
redheadrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:30 PM   #9
Braden
Instepping Out

That's exactly what I thought before I got the Boye Needlemaster, and they only confirmed it. Then, I got the KnitPicks Options, because they looked so similar to the Addi Turbos I was so used to using, I decided to give them a try. I was hooked. I even ordered myself some 4 pairs of the #0 24" circulars for socks when they came out.

CONGRATULATIONS TO AMY AND SHELDON ON THE BIRTH OF THEIR DAUGHTER!

BradenCS on Ravelry
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:56 PM   #10
Lady Violet
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by redheadrachel View Post
I have the Options and absolutely love them. The knitting teacher at my LYS actually was telling me about how she would never want interchangeable needles because of the bad joins. I brought in my set during a Free Knitting and now that she's seen the super smooth joins (and the most flexible cable EVER) she is going to order herself a set! And I, personally, use them all the time and have yet to have a needle unscrew if I've tightened it properly. They're absolutely as amazing as everyone says. At least.

now i reeeealllly wish mine would hurry up and get here!

"Beautiful yarn speaks to the soul of a knitter." - Shandeh

"The Swatch is good. The Swatch is wise. Listen to the Swatch." - Sandi Wiseheart

Lady Violet is offline   Reply With Quote