Old 07-11-2007, 02:59 PM   #1
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
How common is couple's knitting?
I have noticed BostonBecca's boyfriend has started not only knitting, but a knitting blog. And also saw where Gamerchick said she taught her husband to knit. My husband of 40 years let me teach him to knit last fall on our anniversary. He became quickly addicted and knit about 20 hats, one right after the other, all his own designs, just experimenting and learning. He is on to other projects now but is still interested and will no doubt take it up again when it gets cold.

I was wondering how many other people have spouses or boyfriend/girlfriends who knit? In other words is this couple's knitting common, or rare? If your DH/DW or DBF/DGF doesn't knit, do you think you would like them to? How does couple's knitting work? Do you fight over needles? Enjoy SEX together? (Couldn't resist this abbreviation, if you don't know it please check the frequently used abbreviations. It's not all that private.)

Looking forward to hearing from you all.
MerigoldinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:19 PM   #2
Jax3303
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Jax3303
I taught DH to knit about 1 1/2 to 2 years ago. He likes it, but is nowhere as addicted as I am, and he also dosen't understand my fiber addiction, but he does scowl when he touches crap yarns in stored He's knit a full sized afghan (there's a thread with pics of it floating somewhere around here) , some pillows, hats, & gloves.

My Blog

Jax3303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:40 PM   #3
Chel
Turning the Heel

The guy I used to date thinks of it as "Womans work" which is how I like it. LOL

OTN: Jaywalkers (hibernating), Webs Scarf
KnitInNature
Chel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:23 PM   #4
tropicallie
Ribbing the Cuff

Several years ago I taught my DH to sew and he then taught himself to quilt. I taught him to use one of those round loom knitters and he made himself a hat last year but hasn't really expressed much interest in learning to crochet, hand or machine knit. I, on the other hand, have no desire to learn his hobbies which include fishing, gunsmithing, fishing, woodworking, fishing and fishing. Oh, and judging by the expanding sizes and number of toolboxes, random tool collecting. And fishing.
tropicallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:37 PM   #5
Jeremy
Mod Squad

My wife knits but I knit a lot more.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:41 PM   #6
Lady Violet
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
My wife knits but I knit a lot more.

that's kind of like my stash is bigger than your stash.

"Beautiful yarn speaks to the soul of a knitter." - Shandeh

"The Swatch is good. The Swatch is wise. Listen to the Swatch." - Sandi Wiseheart

Lady Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:39 AM   #7
pandaca
1st Leg of the Journey

Becca Ė It got to the point where I didnít even want to tell my DH what I was spending on yarn! Thatís when we gave ourselves monthly hobby budgets. J

Merigold Ė Those hats are fabulous!

I love that some of you knit with your SOs. DH would never be interested in knitting. But then, I guess Iíd never be interested in fixing his truck or building a computer, so thatís fair.

pandaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:03 AM   #8
feministmama
Instepping Out

Suggestion: When a male SO says something about knitting as an "old lady" thing say this as a response, "what's wrong with old ladies?" I happen to be proud of my grandmother and and I don't like people dispariging her simply becasue she's a woman over a certain age. Or saying that knitting is "women's work" say "what's wrong with women's work? It's women that put you on this palnet ya know!"
-That's OK, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway....
-I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Reading: Barbara Kingsolver
Knitting: socks

I'm Femmy on Ravelry
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:26 AM   #9
msoebel
Turning the Heel

My dh is still of the mistaken belief that knitting is something old women do. He believes that, at 29 years old, I am "eccentric" and that this is just another of my "quirky" habits that he can love about me.

I know, because he told me so.:rollseyes:

I offered to teach him to knit, but got the same response I got when I offered to teach him to paint. I think I'll stop trying to make my straightlaced, conservative hubby anything but himself...God knows he doesn't try to make his artsy fartsy "quirky" wife anything but what she is!

Misty

Be a light unto the world...not a bug zapper.
msoebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:34 AM   #10
Jax3303
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Jax3303
When I first started knitting, DH said something about it being something only old people do.....well, I was 22 and 9 mos pregnant at the time, so I look at him with a big WTF expression and said "what the hell is OLD about being 22? Are you calling me OLD? Are you trying to tell me I LOOK old? Are you trying to piss off your pregnant wife?" hormonal rages can be funny when you look back on it....LOL! I sat on the couch after this and started crying a little bit. DH looked at me, and said "i'll be right back" and he grabbed his coat and got in the car. 10 minutes later he was back with some chocolate ice cream and hot french fries (what I had been craving all that day).

My Blog

Jax3303 is offline   Reply With Quote