Old 08-02-2007, 05:50 PM   #1
llamalover
Ribbing the Cuff

Trying to correct a pattern
I'm working on the Scallop-edge wrap from the Vogue Knitting on the Go Shawls book. I have written 2 emails to the publisher for help and to report the error and haven't heard yet. Here goes my attempt to explain the problem!

The shawl has 10 sections of 22 rows. Each section starts with 44 stitches and increases to 48 (to form a point at the bottom)and then goes back down to 44 stitches. The right side is knit across the row; the wrong side is k10, p20, and then is a combination of knit, yo, k2tog, knit, etc. If you follow the pattern, it increases to 49 actually, not 48. The remaining 11 rows decrease to 44, but they don't end up looking like the mirror image of the first 11 rows after knitting. I have scratched my head multiple times to figure out how to mathematically alter the last 11 rows to go down to 44 stitches and be the mirror image of the first 11 rows.

If this is too complicated for anyone, I will wait patiently for the book company to respond.

Thanks so much!

Kris
Old 08-02-2007, 06:49 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
I'd probably try to draw a chart for it. It's easier for me to visualize a pattern if it's in chart form. If it's already charted, then

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
llamalover (08-02-2007)
Old 08-02-2007, 10:11 PM   #3
krazy4kats
Knitting the Flap

The RS is not straight knit, it's K1, yo, K2tog, knit to end on odd rows 3-19 - if you are knitting the whole row this may be part of the problem.

I don't see anywhere where you are supposed to have only 48 st before you begin decreases, looks like last row of increases give you 49 st.

Lastly, is it supposed to be a mirror image? In the pic, the points are not quite centered on each section; since there are only 22 rows to the section, there is no actual true center row, so I wonder if it is not intended to be an exact duplicate?

"The cat has too much spirit to have no heart." -- Ernest Menaul
krazy4kats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 03:28 PM   #4
llamalover
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by krazy4kats View Post
The RS is not straight knit, it's K1, yo, K2tog, knit to end on odd rows 3-19 - if you are knitting the whole row this may be part of the problem.

I don't see anywhere where you are supposed to have only 48 st before you begin decreases, looks like last row of increases give you 49 st.

Lastly, is it supposed to be a mirror image? In the pic, the points are not quite centered on each section; since there are only 22 rows to the section, there is no actual true center row, so I wonder if it is not intended to be an exact duplicate?
Thank you so much, Krazy4Kats, for taking the time to look at the book and directions and suggest a very plausible explanation! I finally got an email from the publisher and the correction is to eliminate one of the YOs in row 12 to make that row actually be 48 stitches. I knew that the RS was K1, YO, K2TOG so that wasn't the problem. So far things are working out.

Have a great day and thanks again!

Kris
Old 08-05-2007, 05:44 PM   #5
krazy4kats
Knitting the Flap

Kris - Thanx for the update - I'll tuck a note in my Shawls book for future reference!

"The cat has too much spirit to have no heart." -- Ernest Menaul
krazy4kats is offline   Reply With Quote