Old 08-07-2007, 08:57 AM   #1
Bug
Ribbing the Cuff

help, rusty needles
Hi there

I was handed a bunch of knitting needles since I have just learned to knit.
Some of the needles are a little bit rusty which I know is bad for the yarn as it can snag.

Does anyone know a good way to clean the rust of needles or are they only fit for the bin?

My Blog
Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bug For This Useful Post:
JeffreyRuh (01-04-2014)
Old 08-07-2007, 09:08 AM   #2
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

I would give them a light rub over with a scouring pad and see whether the rust was actually bubbling the metal or not once you get past the surface. If it isn't you can use a metal scourer to get simple rust spots off but do it lightly and then you can use a light grade sandpaper all over - just ever so lightly. You can then coat with a clear lacquer or similar if you think they'll catch after having been sanded. You can get spray lacquer of course. You just need to try and ensure a coating is even.

If the metal is really bubbling I would probably use them for garden stakes.

There ARE rust chemicals of course - same as used on cars etc but they're pretty volatile etc and I would avoid. The lacquer is good in the sense of preventing air getting to the metal which in part causes the rusting - like sea air etc. I think some really old metal needles were alloys and just not that strong etc and they were susceptible to rust.
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Susan P. For This Useful Post:
Bug (08-07-2007)
Old 08-07-2007, 10:20 AM   #3
phisch
1st Leg of the Journey

You might want to try rubbing them with a small piece of aluminum foil, shiny side to the rusty bits.

That works for removing a little bit of rust from stainless steel. I tried it on our old oven and it helped.
phisch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to phisch For This Useful Post:
JBerthaSteelNeedle (12-30-2013), jinxnit55 (12-30-2013), justplaincharlotte (12-30-2013)
Old 12-30-2013, 12:06 AM   #4
JBerthaSteelNeedle
Casting On

I certainly can use your advice, I've my Great Grandmother's dble points. Thank you.
JBerthaSteelNeedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:49 PM   #5
noejusti
1st Leg of the Journey

I don't know what is available near you, but you can also try rust remover. We have a product called "C.L.R" which stands for calcium/lime/rust and is good for removing deposits. I have used it to take rust spots off of eating utensils. That may help.

v.

noejusti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to noejusti For This Useful Post:
jinxnit55 (12-30-2013)