Old 08-07-2007, 04:47 PM   #1
redheadrachel
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to redheadrachel
Elizabeth Zimmerman?
Hey everyone! I really love knitting, and want to get better at understanding construction of things like sweaters, socks, etc. so I can basically learn how to come up with own patterns, custom fit, and improvise to my liking. I especially love traditional looking knitting, though I will sometimes mix it up with contemporary patterns, colors, etc. I am planning on buying Vogue Knitting, but I'm looking for some good books on construction, formulas for garments, and traditional techniques. I also enjoy intelligent, witty writing styles that are fun to read, but are first and foremost informative. Do you think Elizabeth Zimmerman's books (and maybe DVDs) would be a good choice for me, or should I look elsewhere? Any books in particular that you'd recommend? (You know, to hold me over until Silver or ContiKnitter write their books...) Thanks!

"An excellent woman, who can find? She is far more precious than jewels . . . She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." - Proverbs 31:10;13
I'm a knitter for Jesus!
redheadrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:12 PM   #2
Braden
Instepping Out

Definately go with Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitting Workshop. It has what you're looking for, and then some.

CONGRATULATIONS TO AMY AND SHELDON ON THE BIRTH OF THEIR DAUGHTER!

BradenCS on Ravelry
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Braden For This Useful Post:
redheadrachel (08-07-2007)
Old 08-07-2007, 05:55 PM   #3
losnana
Working the Gusset

I agree. Sweater Design in Plain English by Maggie Righetti is another one that is great at explaining what you need to take in consideration when designing sweaters. It show different body shapes and the types of designs that are most flattering, as well as telling you how to come up with a pattern for a less/more-than-average size.