Old 08-16-2007, 08:55 AM   #1
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
The PJ Bandit
The title will make more sense after you read this (and it's all true!).

As if I didn't have enough stress as it is...

Here's the source of it:

Well, my sweet (yeah, right) little Molly, recently adopted and named with y'all's help, has discovered the hole that our other sweet (sure, whatever) dog Pele dug a few months ago.

So, for the last two days, both dogs have just been having a grand ole time playing in the neighbor's yard behind me. BUT, they've always come back under the fence when I call.

Not this morning.

I put the shock collar on Pele after having ordered (last night) new batteries for the other collar, which will be used on Molly. I thought that if Pele was discouraged from going under, Molly would as well.

Guess what, the battery in Pele's collar is dead too -- a fact I would soon discover (much like the pee in front of my door this morning).

So I look outside and see only my oldest dog (good girl!) on the porch.

I call for the other two dogs. Pele comes out from under the fence, but there's no Molly, although I can hear her. It's 5:30am, and I'm calling her name, trying not to screech and wake the neighbors.

Grrrr...

I go inside and grab some dog treats and hunker down (like I'm doing my business) by the hole, holding the treats under the fence, thinking Molly might see them and come running. No go. I don't even hear her at this point.

I briefly examine the hole to see if I can fit under but decide not to try it.

So then I start worrying that maybe she got out of their yard and is wandering around the neighborhood. I jump, barefoot and with night clothes on, into the Jeep and drive around the corner and park in front of my neighbor's house. No lights on at home.

Grrr...

So, I look for the fence gate. Of course, I choose the wrong side of the house first. Going to the other side of the house, and looking like the PJ Bandit, I finding the gate, trying to be quiet, but of course I'm not. Egad...did I wake the sleeping bodies inside. Apparently not. But I do get in. Beautiful back yard. I've always wondered what it looked like. Too bad I'm seeing it in my pj's at 5:30 in the morning!

No dog. I see the porch door ajar. I creep up to the door and peek inside. No Molly.

Sigh...

I turn around, and there comes my Molly, hopping around through their flower bed...happy as can be.

Grrrr...

I scoop her up, sneak back out of the yard, and quietly close the latch. We drive back home as quickly as possible.

The bad thing is that I can't punish her at this point because she would have no clue what she did wrong.

"Uh, hello, Pet Supply Store, can you please RUSH those danged batteries."

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:10 AM   #2
JessicaR
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to JessicaR Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaR
AWWWW
Old 08-16-2007, 09:32 AM   #3
marykz
Working the Gusset

we had a "jailbreak" too yesterday! We have a large fenced in dog run (with a dog house, shade, water and food). We have 2 basset hounds. Usually very lazy. One is an escape artist, so we hook her to a large tie out in the pen. (she can go in the dog house and reach all corners, but can't dig out.) the other dog is too old and lazy to do anything. (so we thought.)

I walk out the front door to go pick up my daughter from day camp and there is the older one wandering in the (weird) neighbor's front yard!!! Ack!!!

She came right to me, happy as a clam. I run back into the back yard to see about the other one. She is still attached to the tie out, but she is yanking on the door of the pen with her teeth,a nd she has pulled it open. Good grief!!! I thought for sure she had hurt her mouth/teeth with that- but no.

I have no idea what got into her/ them. they were only out there for an hour or so to get a little fresh air while I was on a teleconference. Normally, they can spend the whole day out there happily! The only thing I can figure out is the neighbors up the street are having major construction done to the back of their house. We can see their construction from our back yard. Our silly dogs must have wanted to go play with the workmen.....

thank goodness they still had their collars on with their tags. Animal control is pretty fast in our neighborhood, and the one time the escape artist got out, she had wriggled out of her collar and was picked up within an hour.

glad you got everyone back!!!

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:38 AM   #4
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

How funny!

I saw a video (I think it was AFV) where a dog, notorious for escaping the yard, climbed a tree, and climbed over a deer stand looking thing that had been erected as a deterrent, to get over the fence. It was truly amazing.

My problem is that Molly is so small that she can fit under the fence quite easily. Or maybe the problem is that the hole is too big. Pele is 55 pounds now, and although he struggles, he still gets through.

::::::::::::::::::::sigh:::::::::::::::::::::::

Old 08-16-2007, 09:56 AM   #5
Sharly
Turning the Heel

Oh, Nathalie - the mental image of you sneaking around the neighbor's house in your PJs is just too funny!
Old 08-16-2007, 10:08 AM   #6
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by Sharly View Post
Oh, Nathalie - the mental image of you sneaking around the neighbor's house in your PJs is just too funny!
At least the PJs are my cute ones...striped long pants from VS. So I was a stylish (minus the wild, unwashed, hair) bandit! Maybe I could give Paris Hilton some tips!

Old 08-16-2007, 10:04 AM   #7
marykz
Working the Gusset

LOL- too funny!

Is there a way to block the hole? we had to give up blocking holes with the escape artist- she just dug them again.... every so often we pack new dirt down in the hole and within a few days, she's dug it again.

When a dog is determined.... what can ya do? I'm glad the neighbors didn't find you in your pj's!

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:06 AM   #8
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

We've tried blocking the holes, but the dogs manage to move whatever we use.

So, shock collar here we come. I wish I didn't have to, but it certainly stops my other dogs -- when the batteries work.