Old 08-17-2007, 11:21 AM   #1
cookworm
Working the Gusset

Opinion on pattern style and color needed please
I recently knitted a layette for a mom-to-be...well, make that two layettes, because she's expecting twins!--and I started thinking that a little something for the mom herself might be nice, but I don't know her very well at all. I've only met her twice, so I didn't have an opportunity to see what her taste really is. She's in her mid-twenties somewhere, and she seems pretty chic (unlike myself, not knowing what's "in" and what's "out" ); she works in the cosmetology industry, if any of these bits of info help. I think I'd like to make her a shawl as a comfort to her after childbirth, and maybe as a sort of "hug" to her when she's been up with the babies, tired, etc., so I was trying to find something that would suit her, and I was wondering how this shawl might be? I thought it had enough style to be for a younger person. Plus it uses worsted weight yarn, of which I already have some!

But now about color. The only times I saw her were once briefly and once at her wedding, so I don't know about colors really. I thought about keeping it simple maybe and doing it in a cream color, but would some other color be better? I think she likes sparkles, so I was thinking about maybe knitting some beads into the shawl here and there, but depending on the care the beads would require, maybe not--I'd like to keep this completely machine washable and dryable for ease of care.

I'm on flickr, too!
I love to knit shawls...after all, a girl can't have too many shawls!
cookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:28 PM   #2
astonh
Turning the Heel

Do you recall what colors she had in her wedding? That would be a good indicator to some of her fave colors. Also, type of wedding might help as to her "style" was it casual and laid back or more formal? I don't know.. just what I've seen from the weddings I've helped with and been a part.

FO: Garter Stitch Baby Kimono, Baby Roots Cardigan, Knitted Baby Hat, Custom Adjustable Felted Guitar Strap, Flirtation Cozy, Modified Knit Coffee Sleeve, Scarf, My So-Called Scarf, Baby Converse Shoes, Balaclava, Various Dish/Wash Cloths

www.trowelanderror.blogspot.com
Oh...and I'm heajames on Ravelry
astonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:43 PM   #3
knitasha
Turning the Heel

Two layettes plus a gift for Mom -- you are a good friend!

IMO the shawl is a nice idea. It's a "neutral" design that can be used many ways. If she's young and chic, she'll find her own way to wear it. She might throw it over something lightweight or low-cut for evening. Or wear it with a sweater and jeans while she's taking the twins for a walk. Or even use it to decorate a couch.

I would stay with neutral colors -- cream or black or warm beige or gray. They're more versatile and more likely to be pleasing to a fashion-conscious person.
knitasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:37 PM   #4
GiddyKnitter
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to GiddyKnitter Send a message via Yahoo to GiddyKnitter
I agree with knitasha keep it neutral then it will work with anything.

OTN's
Socks for ME!!
February Ladies Sweater x 3
Knitted Kitties

Leahfaith on Ravelry
GiddyKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:09 PM   #5
kbagel
1st Leg of the Journey

I guess I'm the demographic you're looking for. Mid-twenties, I don't have any kids let alone twins though, thank goodness!

All of my friends and I are super into grey for fall! All colors of grey, silver grey, charcoal grey, whatever. And it was just one of the top trends for fall on style.com. What can I say, I'm also obsessed with fashion.

I was thinking of making that shawl in a really gorgeous dark gray cashmere for my best friend for Christmas.

When you're finished, post it!
kbagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:45 PM   #6
candicane
Working the Gusset

I am not in my twenties and more, but *think* I am pretty hip. I think the shawl you linked to is pretty and modern looking. I agree with the grays... always a good choice. I also like purpley-gray colors. Cream (or other light colors) with babies is never practical. I would skip the sparkles.

Editing to add: I think this would also be a great spring/summer wrap in a hemp or linen

Candice

PS. I bookmarked that pattern and I am generally not the shawl-type.
candicane is offline   Reply With Quote