Old 08-28-2007, 05:34 PM   #1
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Ravelry Question
Artlady received her Ravelry invitation today. Yippy Skippy!
I started a profile page, but have done nothing else yet.
I have a FLICKR account already set up. I have an actual knitting website (not a BLOG as lots of knitters use). I guess my knitting website will suffice. Anyway, Ravelry suggested we have a BLOG...but I don't and won't.

The Ravelry folks highly recommend using FIREFOX as the internet browser for Ravelry. They have actually included a link for the FIREFOX download on their new user WELCOME page.

QUESTION 1: Can I download FIREFOX and use it for Ravelry...and use Internet Explorer 7 for other online uses?
Can I have two internet browsers on my laptop...or will one cancel out the other like antivirus programs cancel each other out. You can't have more than one installed.

If I download FIREFOX...will I lose all my FAVORITES links that are now stored in my IE7 browser? Will FIREFOX import all of my FAVORITES to its "FAVORITES"...or will I have to start from scratch? (Aaarrrgh. No can do.)

QUESTION 2: How many of you Ravelers have actually downloaded FIREFOX for use with Ravelry? Did you lose all of your FAVORITES?

QUESTION 3: How many Ravelers have stayed with IE7 or IE6? Have you experienced the "issues" that the Ravelry folks warned of??

Thanks in advance for your help. Mason, the KnittingGuy, has been saying for a long time that IE7 is not a safe way to enter the online world! He also recommends FIREFOX.
I am so slow to change.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:50 PM   #2
Orangeus
1st Leg of the Journey

Browsers do not cancel each other out, so you are free to use both Firefox and IE. You could even have other browsers, and they would all work independently of each other

When you download/update firefox it gives you the option of importing your bookmarks from IE.

I've been using Firefox exclusively for years, and I always recommend it over IE. In those years (and about five computers) I've only lost my bookmarks once. And it was my own fault. And I got them back.

I can't answer your third question, but I can suggest you download Firefox and try it anyways, without dreading or hating it straight off, just for the fact that it's different than IE. If, for some reason you can't stand Firefox (I've yet to see that happen though), you can always uninstall it, and it won't effect IE at all.
Orangeus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Orangeus For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (08-28-2007)
Old 08-28-2007, 05:58 PM   #3
misha rf

I downloaded Firefox specifically b/c Ravelry said it would work better on it. And it does. I had some glitches with trying to upload stuff in IE. No problems when I use Firefox. And when you download it, it will transfer all your bookmarks from IE, which is fabulous.

Since the download, I've been using Firefox more & more over IE. Oddly enough, the only time I've had any kind of issue is when I'm on the KH forum (it sometimes loads a little slowly). But I'm really liking Firefox!
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (08-28-2007)
Old 08-28-2007, 06:08 PM   #4
Silver
Instepping Out

Once you switch to Firefox, you won't want to go back.

It's everything IE is and SO much more. And Firefox is 100% safer than IE. If you do regular spyware scans, just wait till you run your first after running Firefox for a month or so, instead of IE. I went from 400+ pieces of spyware to almost none when I switched.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silver For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (08-28-2007)
Old 08-28-2007, 06:57 PM   #5
Jess_knit
1st Leg of the Journey

I already have Firefox, and I use it for a couple things (NFL website), but for the majority of my internet stuff I use Maxthon. Based off IE, but SO much better. It has tabs, and is much safer. I love it, even more than Firefox. I haven't had any problems using Ravelry with it.

On the needles: Mystery Stole 3 (Zephyr), Monkey Socks (Running Wild Yarn), Steelers Socks (KnitPicks Essential)
Jess_knit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jess_knit For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (08-28-2007)
Old 08-28-2007, 07:15 PM   #6
Vendie
2nd Sock, I Rock

I've logged into Ravelry using IE6 before and haven't noticed any real issues, however I haven't really spent a lot of time on Ravelry using that browser. Firefox is my primary browser at home, but we have IE for those few websites left that don't like Firefox. I hate IE and will never go back (except for work, since I have no other choice).

It's only uphill until you get to the top of the hill

Vendie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vendie For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (08-28-2007)
Old 08-28-2007, 08:01 PM   #7
SusanMarie1956
Turning the Heel

ArtLady,

Don't go to IE7. It is bad. Mason is right. I use to have downloads every so often that wre SUPPOSE to help out you computer. Sort of UP DATE the other programs you have, Well, they tried to put IE7 on my computer. It REALLY MESSED it up. I got IE6 back. Thank Heaven's!!!

http://MyhookandI.blogspot.com
SusanMarie1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:07 PM   #8
knit.newbie
1st Leg of the Journey

well they already answered ur questions..
I just had to add that IE seems to crash way more..do wierd things with certain stuff(very detailed i kno..hehe)

just don't use it..take it from a software engineering student! lol

Haley is knitting!

OTN:
wide lil simple headband

FO:
skinny ribbed scarf

techniques learned:
the basics(knit, purl, cast on, bind off)
I-cord
(that's it! )

ultimate goal:
make a pretty shrug!

knit.newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:02 PM   #9
chrislt8
Turning the Heel

ArtLady, I was wondering the same thing and after reading the responses to your question, I went ahead and downloaded it - smooth and easy! Have all my bookmarks and favorites (coming off of IE7). Looks good and Ravelry is working mush smoother for me now....

Just thought I'd offer this as further "reassurance"
Old 08-29-2007, 12:02 AM   #10
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
A great big ole HUG to all of you who helped the ArtLady through her growing pains!
Happily, I did a lot of computer housekeeping that I have been meaning to do!
1) I uninstalled Norton Antivirus Internet "Security"
2) I installed Trend's PC-Cillin Internet Security Suite 2007.
3) I downloaded FIREFOX as my default internet browser, and transferred my FAVORITES to Firefox!
4) I uninstalled Webroot SpySweeper. It is a complete nuisance and is intrusive all the time. It interjects its updates whenever it wants...and then nothing I am trying to do will work right or efficiently. I have to wait for it to get done. Well, I have had it with SpySweeper.

I have the free version of Lavasoft Ad-Aware which I can run when I want and get updates when I want.
I have the pay version of Sunbelt's CounterSpy, which has been getting rave reviews. It is not loaded, but I might do it later.

Trends PC-cillin has a very efficient spyware program included, so maybe that will be enough.

'sides...all of you have been saying I won't pick up as much 'dirt' in the form of spyware now that I am onboard the FIREFOX train!

Can I ask one more HUGE dumb question:
Do y'all remove COOKIES at the end of a spywarescan...or do ya leave 'em be??? I have been removing everything the scan dredges up...but...there is one website I visit every Thurs eve and I have to get a new password every Thurs eve. That website will not hold onto my identity (password) from week to week. I assume it is because I have tossed all the COOKIES out with the bath water! I don't know what cookie is hers or I would tell the program to leave it alone.

Thanks again KH'ers!

Artlady at Rav

Last edited by ArtLady1981 : 08-29-2007 at 05:01 AM.
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote