View Poll Results: Which Brand Laptop Do You Prefer?
Dell 13 43.33%
HP 8 26.67%
Sony 3 10.00%
Toshiba 6 20.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-2007, 07:50 PM   #1
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Dell, Sony, Toshiba, or HP Laptop? Which Do You Like Best?
I am probably going to order a laptop this week. I will be using the laptop as a replacement to my desktop, so it will get HEAVY use.

I do not plan on getting a mac. The learning curve just won't suit my immediate needs. So, what do y'all think? Which brand do you prefer?

I'm looking to possibly get one with a 17-inch screen, but someone cautioned me about the weight. I spend so much time on the computer that I really want to see well.

I'm also planning on getting a minimum of 2gb, possibly 4gb.

I really, really don't want to be repairing anything soon.

Anyhow, I thank you in advance!!

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 07:58 PM   #2
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thought I'd share this...

Here's an article from USA Today. It's about Dell customers having to wait quite a while for their newly ordered laptops because of the lack of parts available. So, I'm a bit leery, despite liking Dells.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:19 PM   #3
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
I prefer Dell myself. I've put this one through some heavy on the road use and it's always done well for me.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knitting_Guy For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (09-03-2007)
Old 09-02-2007, 08:23 PM   #4
Julie
Instepping Out

I'm very Dell-loyal myself, but Toshiba laptops get pretty decent reviews as far as reliability goes -- I wouldn't hesitate to get one if the deal was right.
The Following User Says Thank You to Julie For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (09-03-2007)
Old 09-02-2007, 08:52 PM   #5
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

I had two Dell desktops and one Dell laptop. The laptop almost got thrown in the trash the first year. It blew out a fan and a monitor and the Dell warranty service was so slow. They would say the parts were backordered blah, blah, blah then call the next day to see how I liked my service call. I'd tell them it wasn't fixed yet because the parts were on backorder, this went on for weeks until I got so pissed one night when they called I told the guy I was throwing it in the trash. The next day some local guy came with the parts and fixed it.
I'm leaning towards a Toshiba next, I've heard positive things about them, either that or a Sony Vaio. I don't think I'd go Dell again because of my experience with their service.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:14 PM   #6
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

another Dell lover here. My brother is a computer programmer and that's what he recommended to me years ago. I had a Dell PC and now a laptop (Inspiron 5100) that I bought for grad school so over the last 5 yrs it has been dragged to and from class and conferences not to mention being run over by the dogs. My hubby also has one that he bought for grad school - his has more umph than mine as he is completing his PhD and runs Matlab and a lot of engineering programs on his. Neither of us have ever had to use Dell service.
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vaknitter For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (09-03-2007)
Old 09-03-2007, 10:04 AM   #7
ecb
Working the Gusset

Send a message via ICQ to ecb Send a message via AIM to ecb Send a message via MSN to ecb Send a message via Yahoo to ecb
I will never get a Dell again, I might accept one as a gift for my 9yo to play with as soon as it breaks with normal use like mine did.
I bought one, had a bad experience with the unit as well as the lack of customer support, I sent them a letter, and a couple years later I actually got a call of someone actually whanting to know what went wrong, and why I felt I had gotten such a bad deal.
other people whose opinions I reespected convinced me to try again, so i bought a set for 2 of my kids. One of them had a bad motherboard, and the (*&^*&%^*&^&_ customer support dragged out the repairs until the warranty was out, The other one still works, but its slow and bogged down, i have cleaned it up the HD a few times, and gotten things working well, but the system cannot hold up to normal daily uses. I have a Compaq, that has bought HP apparently, The unit is sound, have not had to wipe the HD yet and its handeled some hard knocks, and from what I saw the one time I took it for a tune up (baseline) that it was an expandable unit unlike the Compaq's of old

JMHO
ecb
Good judgement comes from experience
but Experience comes from Bad Judgment
ecb
ecb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ecb For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (09-03-2007)
Old 09-03-2007, 10:09 AM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
I have both a Dell desktop and laptop and most of my extended family also have Dell. I haven't had any problems and found their customer service to be prompt and friendly. I have heard of people who have had problems though.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (09-03-2007)
Old 09-07-2007, 02:15 PM   #9
Queen of Rust
Ribbing the Cuff

I'm currently on a Dell Inspiron laptop and I'm not a happy camper

I've had two major issues with faulty parts and both led to absurdly stressful customer service experienced.

I bought a Dell mainly because I heard that they had good customer service and were a reliable product. Well, I wasn't able to even get my laptop up and running for 2 months after I received it. The customer service is a joke. Usually after waiting 30 minutes to get a rep, I get barely trained so-called technical support people on the phone. They seem to make a practice out of hiring people with a mediocre grasp of English. I'm sorry, I'm Chinese and grew up in a largely immigrant neighbourhood. I usually have no problems understanding folks with accents but most of the service reps had accents so thick they were hard to decipher. Once I got a service rep whose English was so poor that I ended up having to speak at half speed just so he'd understand me. I used the term 'nonresponsive' and he asked me what that word meant!?!?!
For the most part, it seemed that the service reps were practically reading straight out of a manual.

Their customer/technical service dept is not connected to their Parts dept. So you're having to call the parts department seperately and wait another 30 minutes.

The email tech. support is lacking as well.

The second round of stress came one month after my warranty ran out It's like they planned it.
That fiasco took another 9 weeks to be resolved because they kept sending me the wrong part! Actually, someone in the Parts dept. had put the wrong model of that part in the wrong box and they kept sending ones from that mislabeled box.
When I got the wrong part the second time, the service rep I spoke to told me that I probably had another part I needed to replace. He told me this not because there was actually anything wrong with that part but because he didn't have any other answer for me. It wasn't until I demanded to speak to his supervisor that I managed to get somewhere.

I didn't get anything, not even an apology, for all the hell they put me through. I've written letters and in email and in hard copy and still no response. I've told everyone around me to stay away from Dell. Those that didn't heed my warnings, all found out the hard way what I already knew.

I'm never buying from Dell ever again!
Old 09-07-2007, 04:16 PM   #10
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Oh wow! I always point people to Dell because I've had such good experiences with them. Although I will say that at times, I have felt like I know more about the computer than some of the techs I've spoken with.

I think your experience was a bit out of the norm, but I can't blame you for vowing never to buy from them again. I would probably feel the same way.

Oh well...

My MS Office for Mac arrived today. It's kind of weird how they send the different parts of my order separately, but as long as I get it, I guess it doesn't matter. I just can't wait!!!!!