Old 09-14-2007, 05:05 PM   #1
potato83
Casting On

Still confused
How do I know if I am doing a wrong side row?
potato83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:16 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,827 Posts
If you're working in stockinette--knit one row, purl one row, you're working a wrong side row when the purl bumps are facing you.

If you're working in garter stitch, both sides look the same and front/back really doesn't matter until you start shaping, if that's part of the pattern.

For garter, you can just pick a side to be the right side if you like--a pin, or piece of yarn tied on there.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
potato83 (09-15-2007)
Old 09-14-2007, 06:55 PM   #3
potato83
Casting On

Originally Posted by Ingrid View Post
If you're working in stockinette--knit one row, purl one row, you're working a wrong side row when the purl bumps are facing you.

If you're working in garter stitch, both sides look the same and front/back really doesn't matter until you start shaping, if that's part of the pattern.

For garter, you can just pick a side to be the right side if you like--a pin, or piece of yarn tied on there.
I don't even know what a stockinette or garter is. I apologize, but I still don't understand. I can't picture in my head. Can I make myself do a wrong side row? I feel like a knitting airhead.
potato83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:08 PM   #4
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

The 'wrong side' of your knitted work is the side that will not show, so for instance the inside of a sweater is the wrong side. If you are following a pattern, it will say for example Row 1 (RS), so then you know that the odd numbered rows (1, 3, 5, 7, etc.) will be right side rows, which means that they will be on the side that will show when the item is worn or used. So that automatically means that the even numbered rows in this example would be wrong side rows.

Stockinette stitch is knit one row, purl one row, knit one row, purl one row, etc. The purl rows in stockinette stitch are the wrong side rows.

Garter stitch is knitting every stitch of every row. This produces two sides that look identical. So in the case of garter stitch, right side and wrong side don't really matter.

Hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to knitqueen For This Useful Post:
potato83 (09-15-2007)
Old 09-14-2007, 10:54 PM   #5
redwitch
Working the Gusset

Gater stitch has both sides made up of a row of flat sides of stitches alternating with a row of purl bumps. If you are knitting flat, then knitting every row (or purling every row) gives you garter stitch.

Stocking stitch has one side of flat (knit sides of a stitch) and the other side of bumps (purl stitches). The bumpy side looks a bit like garter.

Just turn your work around at the end of each row and work it, you will be doing the wrong side every other row, and the right side every other row.
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redwitch For This Useful Post:
potato83 (09-15-2007)