Old 10-01-2007, 02:26 PM   #1
spectorkitty
1st Leg of the Journey

I need to make some changes
I'm fat. I've gained a lot of weight and it seems I am unable, or unwilling to do anything about it. I'm uncomfortable and angry with myself but don't seem to have the willpower or strength to change it. I did Weight Watchers a few years ago and lost weight but can't seem to bring myself to try again.

I am out of shape, walking too much or any activity really winds me and tires me out. I don't want to walk around naked in front of my boyfriend and I used to all the time! He loves me for me, but says he will support me in any way he can if I want to lose weight.

I also smoke and am terrified of quitting. I quit once for five years but started again after separating from my ex. I get sweaty palms thinking of quitting now.

I don't know why I'm writing this, I don't know what I'm asking exactly. I don't know I'm so scared to try to change things.

Maybe I just need suggestions? Or someone to tell me it's ok to be fat and smoke. haha, just kidding.
spectorkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:39 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I need to lose at least 20 pounds and WW is supposed to be really good, but since I'm not a joiner, I'm going to do it on my own. My main problem is that I need to move more; sounds like that's what you need too. Start walking - if you can only do a block without getting winded, walk a block. Next week maybe you can walk 2 blocks. Then 3 blocks. You might look at your library for some easy yoga videos, that's something you can do at home at your own pace and it will at least keep you moving.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:41 PM   #3
spectorkitty
1st Leg of the Journey

Thank you suzeeq.

I am going to try the weight watchers online, it is a free registration for a week. I'll check it out and see how it goes.

I just feel so bad. I'm only 37 years old and this out of shape?! and it's no ones fault but my own.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:42 PM   #4
larudden
Knitting the Flap

I always tell people that I don't like to exercise because it makes me sweat!

Soooooooooooo, how happy are you inside? I know that that's a corny question but I truly believe that, until we are happy on the inside, we're never gonna be happy with our outside.

I've been thinking all these same things as you lately. I'm about 25-30 pounds more than I want to be but just can't seem to get myself motivated to do anything about it. And I like my 3 or 4 smokes a day darn it!

Last week, I got online to look for someone in my area who teaches yoga classes. My sister and friend both do yoga and they really love it. They say it helps them get relaxed and focused, which is something I'm working on myself. I've got a contact number and am going to call it this week to see what happens. I'm soooooooooooo not an exerciser and I really love to cook and eat, so I know it's going to take some major motivating thoughts to get me going.

The cooler weather is coming to FL soon and I'm thinking that I might just start walking. I've got this adorable pug who loves to go for walks, so maybe I'll just "take Nora walking" and forget about calling it exercise. I don't know. Do YOU have a dog?

I'll keep checking in on this thread to see how you're doing. Maybe we can motivate each other. I'm sure, once I get in the routine, It'll be easier to maintain it..................

Gosh, I'm tired just thinking about it!
larudden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:55 PM   #5
spectorkitty
1st Leg of the Journey

larudden, that would be awesome! I think the reason weight watchers worked for me lat time was because I went with my best friend and we did it together. That was in California though and I don't have any friends in Vermont. It's hard to make friends when you are older I've found. I know people but not a girlfriend you know?

Can I take my cats out for a walk on a leash?
Old 10-01-2007, 03:16 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Only if the cats let you....!

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:49 PM   #7
mrslevite
1st Leg of the Journey

Have you checked out SparkPeople.com ? It's free and it's a great resource. I lost 15+ lbs. I haven't been tracking my meals lately. Need to start doing that again so I don't stray too far off track and will get the nutrients I need.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrslevite For This Useful Post:
spectorkitty (10-01-2007)
Old 10-01-2007, 05:56 PM   #8
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Ok, a bit of honesty here. If you're that out of shape at your age that a very good sign that you need to exercise. The body needs exercise to function properly.

Start slow with just walking or riding a bicycle a short distance and gradually work up from there. 20 minutes a day is a great start.

How many times a day do you eat? The best way to boost metabolism is to eat several small meals a day instead of just one or two larger ones. Of course eating the right foods helps, but spacing your food out through the day goes a long way towards keeping metabolic rates up.

It's really a very simple formula. Burning more calories than you take in causes weight loss. Taking in more than you burn causes weight gain.

At this point I'd be more concerned about you being so out of shape than with your weight. Get yourself a bicycle and start riding it. I love riding a bike and do so as often as I can manage.

I have a recumbent bike at home which is my only transportation when home off the road, and I carry a folding bicycle in the truck with me.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knitting_Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2007, 07:11 PM   #9
spectorkitty
1st Leg of the Journey

Mason I don't mind honesty!

No, I do not exercise unless you count housework which sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.

A typical day is: coffee in the morning, a bagel or muffin and coffee at about 10:15, lunch at 1:30 which is usually something bad for me from the quickie mart, and snacking in the afternoon, a candy bar or something. Dinner is pretty good because I cook for the kids and for some reason find it easier to tell them what to eat, health wise than to do it myself. Tonight was baked chicken, broccoli and rice a roni. Ok, not that great. Night is my bad time. I always want to eat at night. Cereal sometimes, a cookie, etc.

My problem is probably how much I eat.

bike riding is probably something I wouldn't do much. I'd probably walk a lot more easily than ride a bike. I live in Vermont for goodness sake! I have a whole entire beautiful forest in back of my house, with a brook and a path and everything. Just getting to the point of actually getting off my A** and getting going would be awesome.

I'm very glad I wrote this because it gives me some motivation. I'm tired of being tired out from simple things that should be no problem.

Thak you so much for listening to me, I appreciate it a lot.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:21 PM   #10
angel4ever

I recently lost 25 pounds. I went from 164 to 139 (My lowest weight was 115 as an adult). I started in January using Weight Watchers but I only lasted about 3 weeks with them. I lost 10 pounds while I was with them. I lost the other 15 pounds on my own. I never was a big eater or a sweets eater, but I found that I was eating later than normal and not eating a well rounded meal. So I changed my eating habits slowly; eating more vegetables, drinking more water, trying food prepared in a healthier manner. It seemed to work. By June I lost the other 15 pounds. I haven't gained it back at all. I also take a multivitamin everyday before I have breakfast. It seems to curb my appetite. Plus I'm a Pre-K Teacher so I am always on the move, lol.

All in all, do what you think is best for you. Talk with your honey before you make a decision about what you want to do. Whatever you decide, know that you are a beautiful person inside and out no matter what the scale says.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: