Old 10-08-2007, 02:50 PM   #1
sarah5353
Casting On

Still Confused about Turns on Gloves
Ok, I think I figured out the basics of the turn. But according to my pattern I need to cast on one stitch after I turn. But this is my really stupid question, what needle am I supposed to cast onto?
sarah5353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:52 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
The needle with the yarn on it. Knit into the stitch but slip the new stitch onto the left needle instead of slipping the old stitch off.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:21 PM   #3
sarah5353
Casting On

I just realized where I might be messing up, perhaps I was supposed to double-pointed needles. I'm using straight needles, can I still turn my work with these?
Old 10-08-2007, 05:27 PM   #4
HeatherFeather
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherFeather
at the beg. of the pattern it should say the "tools" you need...what does that say?

HeatherFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:35 PM   #5
sarah5353
Casting On

It just says the needle sizes 3, and 5. But in the rest of the patters in the book it never says anything about straight or circular or anything. Maybe they are just assuming that's what I would use. Because I just cannot figure out this whole turn in middle of the row thing.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:46 PM   #6
isabeau
1st Leg of the Journey

You can turn as easily on straight needles as on dpns or circulars -- it's the same for any sort. You're basically switching which hands the two needles are in; the stitches that remained on the left needle are now on the right needle (as though they were stitches you'd just done), and you knit from left to right.

In terms of which you'd need for the project -- is it the sort of thing where there's sewing involved at the end, or does it say something along the lines of "join stitches"? If the first, and if it looks like you knit a flat piece and then sew it into a glove shape, you're okay with straight needles. If the second, or if it mentions working in the round, you'll probably need double-pointed or circular needles.
isabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:49 PM   #7
HeatherFeather
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherFeather
ARe you making the thumb gusset?

Look towards the end of the pattern, if there is seam instructions, then it is knit flat with straights.

If it talks about rounds rather than rows, then it is done on DPNS.

When it says turn the work, just pretend that you don't have any knitting on the left needle and turn the work as IF it were the end of the row (round), and then do what it says...

most times it will look like this

k8 turn
px stitches....

that means knit 8 stitches, and you'll still have x stitches on the left needle....

If you need to cast on a stitch in addition to the ones that are already there...

you can use the backward loop method, (NO way I'm going to try and attempt to describe, I'm sure Amy's got a video) that's good for really no more than 3-4 sts, as it is REALLY stretchy...good for button holes...and that's about it..(imnsho)

I like using the knit cast on...stable, can add as much as you'd like to get done what you need to do...

there's a lot here...so if you get confused...just ask away!!!

HeatherFeather is offline   Reply With Quote