Old 10-16-2007, 12:42 PM   #1
cindygster
1st Leg of the Journey

Venting some beginner frustration...
Ok, I read posts and stuff in this forum almost every day and I'm SOOOO anxious to learn enough to understand what everyone's talking about, and contribute more to others' posts and questions! I'm currently working on a shoulder blanket pattern that I grabbed at Joann's, and I'm really wanting to finish soon and start learning something else. I keep reading through the zillion patterns I've accumulated, but I feel like I'm not ready to tackle them yet. So many beautiful blankets, purses, scarves and other patterns out there and it's like I'm never going to learn enough!!
cindygster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:46 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
You'll understand it all soon. It just takes time. I only started knitting 2 yrs ago and if I can do it, you can!

There is a glossary at the top of the page that can help you read patterns.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:56 PM   #3
meearnol
Knitting the Flap

What worked best for me was to just jump in feet first. One of my first projects was a pair of gloves, and I had NO idea what I was doing. I made it through though. The videos on here are a great resource, as are these forums. My advice is to just pick a pattern you like and try it. The worst thing that would happen is you'd have to frog a few times.

And as many people on here will tell you, there's no need to finish one project before you start another one.

OTN - too many things at once (if that's possible).
FOs- knitty's "back to school" for the sister, and lots of single socks (I'm a repeat victim of SSS).

"If all else fails, stop using all else."

meearnol is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to meearnol For This Useful Post:
cindygster (10-16-2007)
Old 10-16-2007, 01:03 PM   #4
cindygster
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by meearnol View Post
What worked best for me was to just jump in feet first. One of my first projects was a pair of gloves, and I had NO idea what I was doing. I made it through though. The videos on here are a great resource, as are these forums. My advice is to just pick a pattern you like and try it. The worst thing that would happen is you'd have to frog a few times.

And as many people on here will tell you, there's no need to finish one project before you start another one.
Thank you!!! I've not been so gutsy as to make actual wearable garments. I've been sticking with the blankets and stuff that doesn't have to fit a certain way. Maybe I'll go for gloves or mittens next!
cindygster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:14 PM   #5
mrslevite
1st Leg of the Journey

Gotta agree. If you wait till you're 'ready', then you'll never be ready. Find something you like and go for it!
Old 10-16-2007, 01:41 PM   #6
Songbirdy
Knitting the Flap

I know it took me a while before I felt ready to move on to the next stage. All the while collecting.

For me, I made scarves for 1 1/2 years (only knitting in the winter) slippers for about the same. Then I did my first sweater which sat waiting to be sewn up for a long time (I think 1 1/2 years). Then last winter... I decided that was that and its been amazing!

So I'd say its okay to wait if your a patient sort of person. Either way, you've got to gulp and try it!
Songbirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:43 PM   #7
ecb
Working the Gusset

Send a message via ICQ to ecb Send a message via AIM to ecb Send a message via MSN to ecb Send a message via Yahoo to ecb
Originally Posted by mrslevite View Post
Gotta agree. If you wait till you're 'ready', then you'll never be ready. Find something you like and go for it!
I made UGLY scarves
then made some pet toys
Then took a knitting book and made a Doll that came out Perfectly (and NO I could never repete that fete again)
but that gave me WONDERFUL confidence to do almost anything
I was scared of Socks for a LONG time, now I am amking a bunch
and I M back to making scarves, but they are pretty lacey scarves
its so cool to be knitting

ecb
Good judgement comes from experience
but Experience comes from Bad Judgment
ecb
ecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:11 PM   #8
Jens
1st Leg of the Journey

Have you thought about doing some smaller projects? I started a couple of months ago and I really like completing a project. The largerst thing I've made is a poncho for myself. (finished yesterday!!) I started crocheting an afgan last year and I never finished it. It was just to big and to long of a project to keep my attention. So far with knitting I've done a scarf, couple of pairs of socks, a purse, and poncho. I learned different things from all these projects. I try to learn 1 or 2 new things per project. After the newness wears off I may want to try something larger.
I don't understand everything on here either but I've found that I understand things better as I work. If someone would have tried to explain how to knit a sock without me working on it I would never have understood what they were talking about.
Jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:50 PM   #9
knitncook
Working the Gusset

You will get there. The best way to get to where you are making these more "complicated" patterns is to make one! If you run into problems you can always ask here. You will be surprised at how easy the paterns are if you just take them one row and one stitch at a time. Don't let the 200 rows of "complicated" directions bog you down. Get a stitch or row counter (inexpensive ones are available at JoAnn) get the right needles and yarn and make something! You can do it!!

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
knitncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:52 PM   #10
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but to me the best way to learn is to just do it. Even the simplest stitches or patterns, I'll read through them and feel utterly confused; but when I get in and do it, it suddenly makes perfect sense. Plus, we're always here for help! Better to start something challenging and get help along the way, then to be bored and frustrated and give up...

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote