Old 10-24-2007, 01:39 AM   #1
wednesday
Ribbing the Cuff

How to best make a ball out of a Skein ?
I just started back knitting and of course am diving in with both feet. I made the mistake of finding the most awesome pattern at one of the most awesome Shops, the pattern is by Twisted Sisters Knitting it is the Double Happiness Coat the shop by the way is Yarn Paradise in Biltmore Village outside of Asheville North Carolina. Anyway I really didn't want to mortgage the house to buy the Yarn, I know substitution isn't always the way to go, but I love to live dangerously. So I bought some hand dyed variegated wool/silk slubby yarn on ebay, gorgeous stuff but it comes as a loose skein. I wound the first one into a ball by hand, you know just a round ball, no center pull or anything so I know it will be dancing in abox while i am knitting. Is there a better way ? the yarn kept threatening to snarl and did a couple of times so winding it into a ball took some time and i have 3 more to go. Is there a " Best way " to do this without buying Gizmo's ? I really don't want to come across as totally dense but I am just starting back knitting
wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:02 AM   #2
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
outside of investing in a yarn winder and swift (2 years now, got the swift, still working on the winder ;-)), amy has a video for hand-winding a center pull ball that works beautifully!

http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/bas...iques/misc.php

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:11 AM   #3
wednesday
Ribbing the Cuff

Wonderful video I am definitely going to implement that on the remaining skeins and nmaybe even rewind the one that's done. Any sugestions what I can use to put the skein over to keep it from tangling while I wind it into a ball. The open area is quite large it's actually a big loop
wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:18 AM   #4
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
a lot of people use the backs of chairs, i have also used dresser drawers pulled out a little.

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote