Old 10-24-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
Shelley
Casting On

Need to Know How to C2R and C2L
My pattern calls for me to C2R (Cross 2 Right) and C2L (Cross to Left).

I've read the instructions in my beginner books and the instructions on the KnittingHelp.com Glossary Page.

However, I'm very confused about these stitches.

Can someone direct me to any illustrated instructions for these stitches? (I think this would help TREMENDOUSLY)

Or can someone explain the stitches to me in very basic, very beginner terms?

Here is what the Glossary Page gives:

C2L: cross 2 stitches to the left (to work a cable).
slip 2 stitches p-wise onto a cable needle, let cable needle hang in front of work as you knit the next couple of stiches; then knit stitches off of cable needle.

C2R: cross 2 stitches to the right (to work a cable).
slip 2 stitches p-wise onto a cable needle, let cable needle hang in back of work as you knit the next couple of stiches; then knit stitches off of cable needle.

It confuses me that the instructions say "purlwise" and then to knit the stitches...am I being to literal?

And as you knit the stitches...do you pull them up and reposition the needle to catch the next stitch before slipping the left stitches off the needle?

I really don't know how quite to ask what I'm needing...so please feel free to ask me for clarification. I'll certainly try.

Thank you.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:51 PM   #2
Lisa1216
Turning the Heel

To do a cable: Insert the cable needle into the first stitch on the left hand needle as if to purl and slip it onto the cable needle. Do the same with the next stitch. Let go of the cable needle either in front or back of your work. Knit the next 2 stitches on the left hand needle. Pick up the cable needle and knit the 2 stitches being held on the cable needle (just like they were on the left hand needle). Then continue knitting the stitches on the left hand needle.

Does this make sense?

When was the last time you did something for the first time?

On the needles: Not much
Finshed: Nothing lately
Lisa1216 on Ravelry
Lisa1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lisa1216 For This Useful Post:
Shelley (10-24-2007)
Old 10-24-2007, 02:08 PM   #3
Shelley
Casting On

Lisa, thanks for the quick response and the explanation.

However, I'm still a bit confused.

You said, "Insert the cable needle into the first stitch on the left hand needle as if to purl and onto the cable needle. Do the same with the next stitch. Let go of the cable needle either in front or back of your work."

Does this mean MOVE those two stitches from the left needle to the cable needle?

Then..."Knit the next 2 stitches on the left hand needle."

And Then when you say..."Pick up the cable needle and knit the 2 stitches being held on the cable needle (just like they were on the left hand needle)"....does that mean to REPLACE THEM ON THE LEFT NEEDLE and then make knitting stitches like normal?

And this is what is achieved by CROSS 2?

And as a follow-up question...do you let the cable needle hang to the front or the back depending on if you are doing a C2R (back) and C2L (front)?
Old 10-24-2007, 01:58 PM   #4
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Lisa1216 View Post
To do a cable: Insert the cable needle into the first stitch on the left hand needle as if to purl and slip it onto the cable needle. Do the same with the next stitch. Let go of the cable needle either in front or back of your work. Knit the next 2 stitches on the left hand needle. Pick up the cable needle and knit the 2 stitches being held on the cable needle (just like they were on the left hand needle). Then continue knitting the stitches on the left hand needle.

Does this make sense?
Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
My pattern calls for me to C2R (Cross 2 Right) and C2L (Cross to Left).

I've read the instructions in my beginner books and the instructions on the KnittingHelp.com Glossary Page.

However, I'm very confused about these stitches.

Can someone direct me to any illustrated instructions for these stitches? (I think this would help TREMENDOUSLY)

Or can someone explain the stitches to me in very basic, very beginner terms?

Here is what the Glossary Page gives:

C2L: cross 2 stitches to the left (to work a cable).
slip 2 stitches p-wise onto a cable needle, let cable needle hang in front of work as you knit the next couple of stiches; then knit stitches off of cable needle.

C2R: cross 2 stitches to the right (to work a cable).
slip 2 stitches p-wise onto a cable needle, let cable needle hang in back of work as you knit the next couple of stiches; then knit stitches off of cable needle.

It confuses me that the instructions say "purlwise" and then to knit the stitches...am I being to literal?

And as you knit the stitches...do you pull them up and reposition the needle to catch the next stitch before slipping the left stitches off the needle?

I really don't know how quite to ask what I'm needing...so please feel free to ask me for clarification. I'll certainly try.

Thank you.
I think these are referred to as "twisted cable"...if I am right, check out the book "How to Knit" by Debbie Bliss....

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cheley For This Useful Post:
Shelley (10-24-2007)
Old 10-24-2007, 02:09 PM   #5
Shelley
Casting On

I'll look into it! Thanks, Cheley.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:40 PM   #6
Lisa1216
Turning the Heel

Lisa, thanks for the quick response and the explanation.
You're Welcome!

You said, "Insert the cable needle into the first stitch on the left hand needle as if to purl and onto the cable needle. Do the same with the next stitch. Let go of the cable needle either in front or back of your work."

Does this mean MOVE those two stitches from the left needle to the cable needle? Yes

Then..."Knit the next 2 stitches on the left hand needle."

And Then when you say..."Pick up the cable needle and knit the 2 stitches being held on the cable needle (just like they were on the left hand needle)"....does that mean to REPLACE THEM ON THE LEFT NEEDLE and then make knitting stitches like normal? No, you don't have to move them back onto the left needle, just knit them off the cable needle

And this is what is achieved by CROSS 2? Yes

And as a follow-up question...do you let the cable needle hang to the front or the back depending on if you are doing a C2R (back) and C2L (front)? Yes, just let it hang.

Let me know if you still have questions!

Lisa1216 on Ravelry
The Following User Says Thank You to Lisa1216 For This Useful Post:
Shelley (10-24-2007)
Old 10-24-2007, 02:52 PM   #7
Shelley
Casting On

I think I've about got it!

One last question, though...about knitting onto the stitches that are on the cable needle. (And I'm asking blindly as I've put my stuff away and am back to office work).

I'm confused about which needle those stitches end up on, since I'll be knitting off the right needle?

Do I use the left needle or just pull the stitches through the ones I've moved to the right needle (like a crochet stitch would do)?
Old 10-24-2007, 03:17 PM   #8
Lisa1216
Turning the Heel

I'm confused about which needle those stitches end up on, since I'll be knitting off the right needle? Now I'm confused lol. After you move the 2 stitches to the cable needle and let it hang, you knit the next 2 stitches on the left hand needle, (it's like skipping over the 2 on the cable needle) drop the left hand needle and pick up the cable needle and hold it in your left hand as if it was your left hand needle and knit the 2 stitches off of it.They will be on your right hand needle after you knit each stitch. (This is what makes the cross or twist) Pick the left hand needle back up and continue on with the row.

Do I use the left needle or just pull the stitches through the ones I've moved to the right needle (like a crochet stitch would do)? No, you don't pull the stitches through the other ones. Cables are like skipping over a certain number of stitches, then going back and knitting them to make the stitches cross in front of or behind each other. Nothing like crochet at all.

Hope this is helping!

Lisa1216 on Ravelry
Old 10-24-2007, 03:26 PM   #9
isabeau
1st Leg of the Journey

All you're doing with this is knitting the stitches out of order, so they get twisted over each other.

So, uh. Let's say you have needle 1, in your left hand, and needle 2, in your right hand, and needle 3 which is the cable needle; and the next four stitches on needle 1, A B C D, are the ones involved in the crossing-over. If you were knitting straight, you'd just knit A and then B and then C and then D, all going from needle 1 to needle 2.

With the cabling, you slip the first two stitches (A and B) to needle 3, the cable needle. Let that needle just hang in front of (or behind) the rest of the stuff you're working with, and ignore it for now. Knit the next two stitches (C and D) from needle 1 (left hand) to needle 2 (right hand) just like normal. Then, ignoring needle 1 for now, take needle 3 (the cable needle) in your left hand and knit A and B from that needle onto needle 2 (right hand).

This twists the stitches so that you start with - DCBA - on the left needle, and end up with - BADC - on the right needle. It'll probably look a bit funny when you first do it, and feel really funny, but when you get a few rows down it'll start looking like it should, and once you get used to doing it, it won't be as confusing as it is now
isabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to isabeau For This Useful Post:
Shelley (10-24-2007)
Old 09-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #10
EHOKeefe
Casting On

Different Instructions for C2R and C2L?
My pattern gives different instructions for the C2R and C2L from the ones described in this thread, but I'm not sure how to execute them. Any advice?

These are the instructions:

C2R: On RS skip first st, and knit into front of second st, leaving both sts on left needle. Knit first st and slip both off needle. On WS skip first st, and purl into the front of the second st, leaving both sts on left needle. Purl first st and slip both off needle.

C2L: On RS, skip first st, and knit into the back of second st, leaving both sts on left needle. Knit first st and slip both off needle. On WS, skip first st and purl into the back of second st, leaving both sts on left needle. Purl first st and slip both off needle.

Could anyone provide a youtube video of this technique, or some clearer directions? I know that I haven't been doing this correctly.
Thanks!
EHOKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote