Old 10-27-2007, 12:46 PM   #1
beebosmum
Casting On

New to knitting... need pattern help
So I posted her a few days ago and was so grateful for the help! I thought I would give it another go!

I am knitting my first project (other than a washcloth!) It is a jumper/dress for my daughter who is 7 months old. It requires color changing and following a chart, which I have never done. You guys were wonderful enough to get me to the point of being ready to start the chart and here I am... looking at the chart... not sure if I am going about it correctly or not.

The directions are for a pattern from Better Homes and Gardens "Knitting for Babies and Kids"

The pattern issues start with the chart:
(currently have 63 sts on needle)
Work rows 1-22, from chart below, reading from right to left for RS and from left to right for WS, Rep sts 1-12 across, ending last rep at st 15 for RS row. AT THE SAME TIME, dec 1 st at each edge on Rows 3, 9, 15 - 57

Shape Armholes
Change to MC only and bind off 3 sts at beg of next 2 rows - 51 sts.

Then there is a section that says Place Dot Pattern. Isnt this what I just did with the chart? Place it where? I am assuming the dot pattern is the chart I just followed?

I think I just need help getting started with the chart. Do I work columns 1-12 then rep 1-12 then go to column 13-22? But what does the part about ending last rep at st 15 mean?

Any thoughts would be great!
I am trying to do an attachment of the chart. I hope it comes through
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	pattern.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	44776  
beebosmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 01:01 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
The way I read it is that you'll work stitches 1-12 5 times and on the final repeat go to stitch 15 for your size. Other sizes may have you finish later in the chart.

Placing the dot pattern is the color part. I think they're just telling you what you're doing now.

Make sure that when you do the decreases at the edges you take that into account when you follow the chart.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 04:34 PM   #3
beebosmum
Casting On

thanks!
So the placing the dot part is the written version of the chart? It looks a bit confusing...
beebosmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 06:31 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
I think it's just telling you when to start the chart.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
beebosmum (10-27-2007)